Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Some Knitting!


I finished up my CeCe sweater and it is blocked and ready to go on a holiday! It is a 'crinkly' (Sh!) acrylic with rayon and it does not block smoothly! I was nervous about blocking it too severely and I am happy with the results! If I were to do it again, I would probably make it a size smaller, but I do not like things tight. I am sitting in a wooden chair made by my Dad, with my mug of tea and CeCe. This is the chair I use when we have great weather like we are having now and I knit and listen to music or books on tape. That is our Cairn Terrier, Tibbie, in the background and one of my favourite hostas beside me!



I also finished the Eleanora socks. You can see that there is a colour difference at the very end of the toe. I could have frogged back the leg of the first sock and made it a bit shorter - there was no way I wanted to make the foot shorter! Anyway, I do not like to frog good knitting, so since I never wear open toed shoes when I wear socks, this is perfectly acceptable to me.


The 'tiny' socks were knit by my grandmother for my doll! I have cherished them for all these years. My grandmother, who taught me how to knit, would be 142, if she were alive! She was a patient lady and could be a bit stern. When I was younger, I wondered if she really loved me, but when I look at those beautiful little socks, I know she loved me. Who would take the time to fiddle with such tiny socks for a child - only someone who really loved the child! After checking her birthdate, I realize that my grandmother died when I was 5, so she must have taught me to knit when I was about 4 or 5! What a lucky little girl!










The baby sweater with the 'daisy' buttons is for charity! It is a washable cotton and hopefully it will be just the ticket for some small child! I am currently knitting the little "Star" hat from Susan!

I just finished making a "Victoria Sponge". In Canada, the weekend closest to May 24th is always a long weekend and it is known as Victoria Day Weekend. Queen Victoria was a rather stern lady, but one of our longest reigning monarchs. The term, "I am not amused!" has been attributed to her! You may a simple sponge cake, slice it in two across the diameter, fill it with jam or, as I did today a pastry cream, plop the top back on and serve it with whipped cream, fresh fruit or ice cream. Ours will be accompanied with fresh mango! Ribs are on the BBQ, rice and beets in the oven and fresh asparagus soon to be roasted. Do you think she might be even slightly amused by this meal to be shared with the family?

My pictures are large, and we had quite a time getting this post set up! Any suggestions? Blogging is not for the feint of heart!

10 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Blogger was having a bad hair day yesterday Peg..love your little dog .We should meet here again or over at Lene's blog .Angie.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

You've been a busy knitter!
CeCe looks great, I cast on mine tonight.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

Your flower basket looks great. I love your socks too. I was just thinking the same thing about how expensive socks can be. I asked my daughter to bring me some Koigu sock yarn for two pairs of socks from Downtown Toronto and it cost 64 $!!! (i wanted to know what all the fuss about Koigu is about) Is it just me or do you think that's way too much for socks? Anyway, I hope to see more of your beautiful work in the future.

5:07 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

Peg you made a BLOG!!!!! YAYY!!!!
Your going to have lots of fun with it! I know I have since I started mine! Wow lots of lovely FO's to share they are all fabulous!
I like pictures being big that way I can actually see what's in them. I hate squinting trying to see whats going on! KEEP THEM BIG!
and WELCOME TO BLOGLAND!!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I'm enchanted by the story of your grandmother. She must have loved you very much to teach you to knit when you were 4 or 5. What lovely memories you must have. And the socks are precious.

4:09 AM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

the CeCe looks perfect for the day outside! and I like the bit of gold at the tip of the toes- its goldentoes!

4:21 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love your CeCe! It looks perfect with that dress, too!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Bear Knits said...

CeCe looks great! I'll have to cast on soon.

7:04 AM  
Blogger jenknits said...

Cece looks wonderful! I am knitting her too, in a pretty summery coral color. Your Eleanora socks are pretty too, but best of all I love your knitting spot!

3:44 PM  
Blogger jennhx said...

That is a sweet story! When I was a kid, my grandma knitted a tiny little baseball cap and matching overalls overalls for my Pooh bear. Knitting those small items just for a doll or a stuffed animal certainly took some love.

P.S. I use wordpress.com for my blog and I've been really happy with it.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting