Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, May 25, 2006

I Found Myself in Knitters' Heaven!!

I got back from Victoria with my daughter late this afternoon. It was such a wonderful time spent with her in a city that she knows so well. She went to University there and also lived there for a few years before she moved away with her DH! I wish we had taken more time to just be together in the years she has lived here, but no point in dwelling on the past. She is one wonderful woman, and everything was her treat to me. This was my Mother's Day and birthday gift combined!

The weather was changeable, but that does not stop a shopper. One of the first stops was to the Beehive Wool Shop and it was wonderful. Unfortunately, the first clerk I dealt with was not experienced, she was helpful, but then we all have to start somewhere. I went with a few patterns in mind, and I have one comment about patterns! If a pattern is written for a specific yarn, I wish the yardage of the yarn per ball or skein were included. It is difficult to substitute when
(1) you are not sure of the yardage of the skeins mentioned,
(2) you have to substitute, as the yarn shop does not carry the particular yarn mentioned in the pattern,
(3) I don't mind buying an extra ball, but sometimes you do not get to complete the project right away and then you cannot get the same dye lot
(4) at the cost of yarn, I hate to buy several extra balls!

Perhaps all of these comments are just me, but I sure would like to see yardage mentioned on skeins or balls!

I got to see and feel the Silk and Seaweed yarn that Fleece Artist carries, and I need to save my pennies for some of that. The colours are just beautiful and the feel is fantastic. I can see a nice shawl, wrap or scarf!

I had my heart set on getting some Fleece Artist, and below are my purchases. I plan to make a Flower Basket Shawl from the Silk Stream ($45.00 a skein)- I know, it will be #3, but I love the pattern and the yarn reminds me of pansies! This will be a project to remind me of my daughter's and my visit to Victoria before she moves to Germany for four years.



It is Silk Stream by Fleece Artist which is 50% Wool, 30% Silk and 20% Nylon. Each 250g skein holds approximately 600m!!

Then, since it is the Summer of the Sock for me, I bought two skeins of Merino Wool by Fleece Artist, and a 115g skein holds 325m. These cost $22.00 C each, so I did not think that was too expensive. Some special socks will be knit with it and the second picture is of Jawoll Superwash and I have it sitting beside the Best of Show Socks in Socks, Socks, Socks!










I will write more in another post of sharing time with my daughter! But I want to include a photo of me with the Yarn Swift that J made for me and me balling my Silk Stream Yarn. As I write this blog, J is balling up the sock yarn. Now you know why I have been married to him for almost 46 years. He is a real keeper!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Great yarn haul! If money and time were no object, I would have come home with lots of Fleece Artist.
Wow, after 45 years, your hubby is a keeper. That's a lot of years. My parents just celebrated 49 last week, and they still like each other, which I think is wonderful.

(I'm rambling tonight, sorry)

8:20 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

You know the bit in "At Knit's End" about the husband who owns a yarn store and builds cedar-wood cupboards ..some reason it springs to mind...a yarn swift huh?

2:19 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Just found your blog the other day (can't remember how) and I sure am enjoying a fellow Cdn's knitting ramblings! I sure have had the same gripe about yardage given in patterns...I sure wish they would too as rarely are you able to acquire (or afford) the yarn specified! It drives me C.R.A.Z.Y.!!
My DD (#2)is returning to Canada this summer after 4 yrs in Japan and with 3 of my grands. I am anxious to have them back on Maple Leaf soil so visiting is not so sporadic and time spent will be more frequent.
You can start planning some nice journeys to be with your family and enjoy them in their own homes.
That Fleece Artist Sock yarn is gorgeous as I was just gifted some frm my sock Pal, another Cdn.
I will read your blog daily now and look forward to your new entries! Take care
Susanne in Edmonton

7:31 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Yes, she is with her family, husband (who has just finished his PhD in Cdn History). She has been with the Cdn Consulate in Osaka. 3 grands the youngest of whom just turned 1 yr end of April
FCEK is Family Circle Easy Knitting. Sorry, I am a walking abbreviation :)

8:58 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhh yummy Fleece Artist! We have some of that in my local store but I just didn't know what I'd make with it. I'm anxious to see what it looks like in your shawl.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting