Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Drum Roll, Please!

Here is my finished version of Cul de Sac. Unfortunately, the photographer did not tell me that the fronts were not lined up, as they truly do line up!! The vest is a bit too big for me, and I want suggestions about making a larger side seam! I wonder if Silk and Cashmere would steek well, as the vest could have a one inch seam on each side, which would lose four inches in the body of the vest. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cul de Sac is quietly resting in the cupboard and probably will be there for a bit. I have moved on and think we need a bit of space.





This is a view of the back - again, I do not have a dropped shoulder, at least I do not think I do, but that is what it appears to be in the photo.

This is one of those projects that the best thing you can say about it at the moment is - it's done!

I look forward to comments on making a larger side seam, but somehow getting rid of the bulk!!

9 Comments:

Blogger gail said...

I think your vest is wonderful!!! As for the side seams, I would not steek unless you machine stitch a couple of times. I steeked a Dale of Norway Baby Ull sweater and one row of machine stitching was not sufficient to hold the cut ends. I learned this the hard way. In lieu of steeking, I would simply make deeper seams and then stitch the extra seam allowance to the sides of the vest, giving them a little poof with the steam iron. In that manner, you will have a seam that stretches a little more with the fabric of the vest. With machine stitching you do not get the "ease" of sewing with yarn.
You have a wonderful collection of vests. You must really enjoy them.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Congratulations, Peg. Even if it was a real challenge, you pulled it off beautifully!

Sorry - no advice about the steeking. Just the word gives me the shivers! :0)

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

I was thinking the same way as Gail. Take in the seam and either cross stitch the selvage or crochet it or machine stitch it just as you would a dale of norway.
I have also seen some knits where they finish off the seam with seam binding to keep it from raveling but what a lot of work that would be!. It is a lovely vest!

12:43 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

It's a beautiful piece of work and your yarn choice shows up the cables beautifully.

I had a vest that was too large and I took it to a tailor for adjustments. She pinned it while I was wearing it to get the right about to remove and she used her serger to sew it up. It cost me $15 and I thought it was well worth it since I don't sew. Its been two years, I wear the vest quite a bit, and I'm only now noticing a bit of fraying.

The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps you have knit a vest for a larger person. Maybe it wants to be a gift.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Can't help you with the side seam, but I think the vest looks fabulous!

Had to laugh at the part about your photographer not noticing the fronts not lined up.....I know that Joe would NEVER clue in about those kind of things!

1:21 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

even though you think it looks big I think it looks great!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

I wouldn't have a clue as to how to take it in but I think it's tremendous workmanship.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, she's a beauty to be sure. I don't know what to tell you about taking it in...I did like Lauriem's suggestion though.
What size did you make? curious minds would like to know.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Peg that vest looks absolutely STUNNING in the silk/cashmere. I'm so cross I didn't make it in that yarn too!

And hold your horses on the taking-in. Don't you ever get a cold-ish day there? It would be superb over a polo neck, wouldn't it? Otherwise, just wear it open and casual. Things don't have to be skin tight. I think it looks better to have that kind of design a little large.

Congratulations on finishing. And on sticking with the picking-up nightmare. I succumbed to i-cord which looked better for me. Well done.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting