Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Do you like French Vanilla Ice Cream? I do!


I purchased this Knitter's magazine (Summer 2006) last year and had always admired this sweater, so I decided to cast on, as a short sleeved, off-white cardigan is always useful.

I am using Marks and Kattens Orkide from my stash. I love this yarn, as it is so soft and easy to knit with. It is 20% Silk, 40% Merino wool and 40% Acrylic Microfibre! It is a 'spun' sort of yarn - or rather twisted, but it is not splitting much and flows through my fingers nicely. There are now at least 6 more inches on this back, as it is rather a quick knit, even though it is on 3.75 mm needles!


It would probably be lovely in a purple, but this off-white was one of those buys a girl just cannot go past as it was regularly $7.99 per ball on sale for $2.00!


In the pattern, the top button is down about 1.5 inches, but I think I will plan on moving it up nearer to the top and the selection of a button is going to be difficult, as it can make or break the sweater! Again, like Cul de Sac, the front button bands are picked up and knit on - perhaps I will knit the left side first and add four more stitches in garter stitch, mark the button placement and then knit the right side. I am never that pleased with picking up stitches and then knitting button bands - you often, at least I, have to press the devil out of the band to get it to lie flat. Any suggestions welcome.

The sweater is called "French Lilac", but I will call mine "French Vanilla", like the delicious ice cream!

7 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

This is a lovely pattern, and an off-white short sleeve cardi is so versatile for spring and summer! :0)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Very pretty choice. And a white sweater for the summer is so handy and will get lots of wear. I am glad you mentioned the size of the needles. They looked a heck of a lot smaller than 3.75 in the picture! You are so speedy, it probably won't matter!

11:09 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Oh yes! I love that little sweater and it will look great on you I'm sure.

Peg, I'm always stopping by your blog, even if I'm not commenting. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and other times I just don't have anything to say.

And yes, there is red lace on the needles. :-)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

That is going to be gorgeous, such a cool crisp feel in white, and it will go with everything too.
Had to laugh at the mention of purple though, that's the yarn colour I purchased today. I think I'd better go take some pics to post, I've really neglected my blog this week (yet again).

4:02 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Peg - they just keep getting better and better - I really love this one. How on earth do you knit so fast anyway?
I've tagged you for a Thinking Blogger Award so you're about to become even more famous for your amazing knitting skills!
Visit me and read more details.
Your friend,
~ Mary ~

6:43 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Ohhh...I admired that sweater too and have thought about making it for myself. Can't wait to see yours!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, I love that pattern AND the yarn you chose to use for it.

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting