Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, March 25, 2007

I'm Home and It Was Fabulous!!

Just a quick note to let you know I am back from my retreat. No photos just yet, but I promise I will post some in the next few days.

It was just a wonderful experience. Shelley Mackie of Fun Knits and her family and staff just put on a weekend beyond my wildest expectations. We were all given a teddy bear and six different patterns to make our bear a sweater. You could use her needles, yarn, experience and help each other. There is even a pattern for a Norweigan sweater with steeks - that is not what I tried this weekend, but I definitely am going to give it a try! How scared can you get over a project small enough to fit a teddy? Oh yes, we were all given 25 - YES 25 - samples of different yarns and a write up on each type of yarn. There is enough yarn to knit up a swatch! So you can try a yarn to see if you get gauge, or like the feel or see how it washes or just rub it on your cheek!! There is even a yarn made from corn - it has the same feel as cornstarch! I will include photos of the samples and some words on the yarns when I am less tired - but a good kind of tired.

The youngest knitter there was 11 and the oldest 82 and we had a wonderful man and his wife. The man knits the Bohus pattern on hats and other wonderful hats from his wife's handspun pure wool! Charlotte, age 11, knit a top down sweater (with minimum help from her Mom) out of a patterned sock weight yarn. The look on her face when she put it on her teddy and I took a photo made a more experienced knitter feel that our craft of knitting will be carried on by the next set of young girls. My granddaughters are becoming knitters, and that makes a Nana feel so good!

I think that is enough of a teaser for today. I met the most fun group of knitters, did not cook any meals, no telephones to interrupt, shared ideas, knitting experience, and just enjoyed the rhythm of our knitting. I am unpacked, tired, but very, very happy and my DH has planned a wonderful dinner. How did I get so lucky!!

Oh yes, a few gals who have read my blog said that I was very much like my blog! Not sure what that means exactly, but it sounded very favourable to me, and a gal takes compliments where she can get them!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Well you sounded much more articulate in your post than I do in the one I just wrote. It really was a wonderful weekend, and I was so glad to meet you.

I'm unpacked as well, have an MM Meats pre-made dinner in the oven, and am waiting for my husband to come home from work. I'm tired too, and will enjoy a relaxing evening and finish the second sleeve on my teddy sweater!

Enjoy your dinner and a nice sleep in your own bed. I'll be looking forward to reading your recap of the weekend.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Fun Knits said...

I was really glad to meet you and glad you had fun at the retreat. Hope we will have just as much fun next year.
Shelley

6:50 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

What a great weekend, by the sound of it! Can't wait to see all your pictures and hear more.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I love retreat weekends -- the happy glow lasts a good long time. Glad you had such a nice one. Looking forward to hearing more about it. ; )

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting