Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I am busy next March 28 to 30!!

Oh Shelley's blog today, she announced that she has made arrangements with Camp Homewood to have the facility for next March 28 - 30! I sent off a post right away and said sign me up. She has not set the price, but this retreat proved to me that another one would be priceless!! It is just the most beautiful setting, Shelley and staff have a hard act to follow after this year, but I know they will come up with something to fulfill all our wishes and we will learn a lot from Shelley, the staff, and each other. Even if I only get that precious time to knit where the stove, washer, dryer and telephone are not interruptions, that is good knitting time for me!

This is a circular sweater that Shelley knit for her daughter, Megan. It looks different, but when it is on and the model is beautiful, it is spectacular. She even knit one for Meika, her granddaughter and we also got the pattern for the sweater for our bears!

Here is Meika in her circular sweater! What a delight this little girl is and a future knitter for sure. At this age, almost 2, her favourite words and 'No', No Way' and 'Mine'! Remember those times, if you have children! She knits with Grandma by taking the yarn and wrapping it around the needle!








I think this is such a lovely pattern, but it truly suits slim people, little girls and bears!!
In the tumble of teddies below, you can see the front view of the circular sweater on the teddy that is on top to the right. Many of the same colours appear in the bear's sweater as are in Meika's sweater. I think on Brenda's blog you will find a great photo of the group and some of our teddies on the couch with their new sweaters! Not all the teddies are present, as some gals had to leave early to catch ferries to Vancouver Island and then to the mainland!






Below are the bears with the various sweaters we could chose to knit. There is a dear little mauve cardigan which I thought had beading. It turns out that you just work a bit of 'ladder' yarn into the ribbing and a bit of the body and where the silver in the yarn and then bits of shiny colour show, it looks like beads. This sweater also included that step most of us do NOT enjoy - picking up stitches up the fronts, around the neck and ribbing or seed stitch. You also knit buttonholes in the ribbing, so you can see there were many different steps in sweater making that could be learned in making a small bear's sweater.





Oh yes, in case you wonder at the patterns of the couches - you know how you tire of that couch and buy a new one! What to do with the old one that still has some wear in it - give it to a church camp and they work a treat, as this is a large room with a huge fireplace front and centre and on the opposite wall the windows with the view!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I too plan to attend next year's retreat. I can't help but smile when I think about or see pictures of last weekend. It really was something.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

How wonderfully clever is that circular sweater!?? It is so cute on Meika!
You'll be watching the days this year, for sure.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting