Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, April 30, 2007

Knitting in Progress


My granddaughter, Kate, is celebrating her 17th birthday in July and I wanted to knit her something, as she loves to knit herself. I had looked through many books, and when I borrowed this book from the library and came across this pattern, I knew this would be for Kate. The book is "Classic Knits" by Erika Knight. I like Erika's designs and the yarn I am using is Grignasco Merinogold . This is a favourite yarn of mine, and our Kate is a redhead, so I think this Robin's egg blue will be perfect.

I like one of the details that Erika suggests! Instead of making increases and decreases at the first and last stitch of a row, she suggests - K3, k2tog (or Increase 1), k to last 4 or 5 st, k2 tog tbl (through back of loop) or increase 1 and then K3. I started some time ago to k1 and then do my increase or decrease, but I like this method too, as you use your increases and decreases as part of the design element!

This is a little sweater from another Erika Knight book - "simple knits for cherished babies". If you read Knitting Iris's blog, you will see that she has knit this little rosebud sweater at least 17 times. A while ago, she had some notes on her blog about some of her adaptations she has made to the pattern, such as knitting the back and two sides together and then using dpns to knit the sleeves. Also, instead of only 4 stitches in the button/buttonhole band, she uses 5. One thing I learned from a Sally Melville book many eons ago was that when knitting garter stitch to start the first stitch by slipping it purlwise and then you get a nice little chain stitch along the edge. Iris pokes a knitting needle into the buttonhole band after knitting the sweater and in several sweaters she made a little daisy to keep the little hole open. However, I am only going to put two buttons near the top, so I will knit them onto both sides near the top and then once I know the sex of the baby (due in August) I will sew on the button to the appropriate side.

I am knitting this little sweater in a deep jade colour using Garn Studio Muskat 100% mercerized cotton! Of course, this little baby already has a big sister and I would like to make big sister a little shrug!! There is lots of yarn in the stash for such a project!

Both these knitting projects are great for taking out into the sunshine to knit. In fact, I just got in from the garden and once I post this, I am off to make some lunch to take outside to eat and one of the knitting projects - probably the shrug, as it needs to be in Germany by July 10th. How did I get so lucky to have grandchildren?!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cornflower said...

Peg, I've seen the Erika Knight book pictured here and there and it looked excellent. Kate should love her present!

12:30 PM  
Blogger margene said...

I am waiting for that book to arrive. It looks full of great, simple, elegant knits! Your sweater will be fabulous.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

These are both looking great - I love Erica Knight's pattern, the first book is on my own wishlist. Such beautiful garments! :0)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

What awesome gift knitting projects, lucky recipients!
So awesome that your granddaughter has taken to knitting, she will sure appreciate her grandma's efforts.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting