Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, May 26, 2006

Time to Re-think projects!

After my brain was rested, I thought about my Fleece Artist sock yarn purchases. I like my socks on the long side and wear a size 10 shoe. I just don't think that 325m of yarn is going to work, unless I buy a solid to coordinate for the heel and toe! One idea I had for one of the skeins was to make a Branching Out scarf! This is a pattern from Susan Pierce of I'm Knitting As Fast As I Can!



This is a photo of my first BO scarf done in a wonderful Merino! I went on to knit one in a beautiful red for a fun contest on our local radio station! It is a great pattern and so much easier the second time around. I used 'lifelines' when knitting and this was my first application of this trick. A 'lifeline' in knitting lace, for me anyway, is necessary, if I am to keep all my hair on my head!!The felted 'bucket' beside it was made from my stash of Briggs and Little yarn and I used the method that Susan used for Nantasket Basket!

The contest was run by the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) on their Saturday morning show. Cheryl McKay, who is the MC, learned to knit this spring when CBC was on strike. Why not turn a pig's ear into a scarf - or something like that. She did a complete Saturday morning show on knitting! From this show, the idea for a scarf exchange arose and took off! If you would like to read about the contest, go to http://www.cbc.ca/nxnw/knitting.html and the second scarf from the bottom in the second photo down is my scarf, I think. They thought they might get 50, but it was near 400 before all the fibers settled down and the air was clear. They plan to run another contest this fall/winter. I will enter again.

Here is a photo of the beautiful mobieus scarf that came to live with me from the scarf exchange. It is knit from a tubular variegated cotton and the gal even crocheted a flower and put it on a beautiful clasp and I can wear it on the scarf or on a jacket without the scarf. As I have 'power surges' at my age, the wearing of turtle neck sweaters is out for now! So scarves are great - easily removed until a cool breeze comes and makes live easier. I asked someone when hot flushes/flashes stopped and when she said that her Aunt was 80 and still having the odd one, I quickly grabbed a chilled wine and dwealt on something else! The scarf is much more beautiful in real life and very versatile!


You know, now that I think of it again, a mobeius scarf with one skein and a BO scarf with the other might just be perfect!!

Sometimes we buy yarn for a project, sometimes we buy yarn because we love it and sometimes we change our mind on the project! This all sounds quite logical to me and I have been known to buy yarn for a project, start the project, rethink and then use it for another project! Does the yarn mind? I think NOT!

1 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Oh dear years to go then..I've become an iced Goat's milk addict since the hot flushes started .When I say iced I mean a whole tray of ice a little milk.I love the scarves and the felted bag .

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting