Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, January 05, 2007

St. Fiacra and St. Sebastian - I raise my needles to you!

I was lucky enough to get the SnB daily calendar from my dogs for Christmas. Yesterday there was a little blurb on these two saints. Did you know the first knitting guild was the Guild of St. Fiacra (est. in Paris in 1527). This guild regulated the production of knitted caps, so St. Fiacra is the patron saint of cap makers. He was thought to be Scottish, but he was Irish!! In Barcelona, the woolen-stocking knitters were protected by St. Sebastian! Just a bit of knitting trivia for you!

Two days ago, there was an article on the calendar about yarn standards. I checked out the site - www.yarnstandards.com and it has some great info. I like the system of the ball of yarn and a number on it to tell you the weight of yarn needed for a garment. I would like to know, though, if you combine two strands or more of fingering weight, just what weight you have then. How many strands of DK would you need to make a chunky weight? Interesting, especially when you have some stash and do not have a chunky!

I also got a gift yesterday from Erica of the Red Sweater KAL. It was a Red Letter Day for me. She sent me a beautiful skein of Pirate Yarn in colourway Brown Sugar and some stitch markers that remind me of hard candy! Beautiful yarn, but a less than beautiful picture taken by me. I will include a photo when I get the camera in hand and also a bit of sunshine! Thanks so much Erica!

I have been knitting away on the garter stitch cotton sweater and also when I have quiet time the beautiful cashmere scarf. One blogger asked if the scarf were for me - YES! It was a gifted yarn and so it will be mine all mine!

We continue with wind and rain here on the Wet West Coast! Toronto, Ontario has our weather - it is scheduled to be 13C there today! They probably deserve nice weather, as we folk here on the West Coast are usually calling relatives in that part of the country telling them about our wonderful weather and can they hear the lawnmower in the background. Also, we love to tell them that we went golfing this morning and are just back from skiing this afternoon. Maybe this will humble us here in BC - but probably not!

I am planning this year to blog more, but it will not always feature pictures of knitting. Often, it will be philosophical about my life, the news, gardening, reading, etc. I write a 'family and friend' update every week and have for many years. The people who receive it probably know more about me and my thoughts and beliefs than they wish to know, but I always say they can just hit the 'delete' button. I also mail out the update to eight people and they all have garbage cans, so they can deep six it. All this to say, if you do not care for my philosophy, you can just take it with a grain of salt or a gram of cashmere!

4 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

It's been mild here in New Brunswick too...today was around +9 and sunny. I'm sure we'll get the yucky weather before winter is over though.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, it will better than fine to read more about you, looking forward to it. I see you've got some buttons up (I apologize if they've been there awhile, I just realized they were there). You'll have to tell us more trivia as you go through your days. It seems to me if you combine 2 fingering weights you should get a DK (not sport)..that said I think there's a tool, wpi, wraps per inch, they don't cost much..seems to me it should come with information as to what does how many...
Your gifts sound great, and will look forward to seeing photos.
I'm glad the scarf is for you :)

7:39 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

You are always worth reading, Peg!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Oh, I love the Brown Sugar colourway! Mmmmm.

I was given the same calendar for Christmas, and I'm really enjoying it! :0)

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting