Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Ginger - my favourite spice!

I must admit that there is still the scent of ginger in my home, and I love it. The cookies are all in tins ready to go to the various folk on the list. Some think that this is a 'special' thing that I do, but I have done it for many years and the recipients always seem so grateful. I like to make sure that the people who make our lives easier know that I appreciate their efforts. Baking cookies is easy when you do it my way - no rolling and cutting and then decorating for me! One person asked about the Three Ginger Gingerbread or Ginger Cake recipe. Well here it is and you don't even need to pull out your mixer. Put the dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl - make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the wet and give a good stir. I spray a large angel-food pan with a baking spray and in goes the batter. It usually takes about 1.25 hours to bake and your kitchen will smell heavenly. It keeps well, if you can keep human hands off it, for a very long time. That is probably due to both the sugar and molasses. Enjoy!

Three Ginger Gingerbread or Ginger Cake


3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup of water
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fancy molasses or table molasses
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp minced, fresh gingerroot
1/2 cup chopped, crystallized ginger

~ In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, ground ginger and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, molasses, eggs, gingeroot, crystallized ginger and water. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients. When mixed thoroughly, place in a well greased bundt or angel food cake tin or any pan that will hold batter. It will rise a fair bit!

~ Bake in the centre of a 350F oven (180C) for about 1.25 hours or until cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Give the cake a bit of a shake - not earthquake type of shake, but a little shake to be sure it is loose and then invert on rack to cool. Enjoy!

NOTE - I also use heaping measuring spoons of the spices and also heavy on the crystallized ginger. I never put the little bit of spice in any cookies or cake that are called for - I like a bit of spice in my life!

Now I did finish off a bit of knitting last evening, as I found out who killed the poor girl in the story I was listening to. It was a book called "Dark Tort" by Carolyn Mott Davidson. The gal who tries and mostly succeeds in solving the crimes is also a caterer, so her books are laced with cooking! They are an easy read and not something that will keep you awake at night. I also watched a show on TV with some of the folk who had managed to survive the tsunami in South East Asia. I could not believe that that happened almost two years ago. However, yesterday was the 17th year anniversary of the killing of the 14 wonderful engineering students in Montreal. Both situations so sad, but as one survivor from the tsunami said, "How do you deal with Mother Nature?"

Here is the 3rd Tweedy Beret. I used a Berroco Ultra Alpaca and two strands of the beautiful viscose I got from Jo of Celtic Memory Yarns. I have used up every bit of the viscose, Jo, as the last seven stitches were cast off in only the alpaca. I will wear it with the viscose scarf and my black coat. The viscose alone would, I think, have been too drapey for a beret, but maybe not. Anyway, I am happy with the beret I made. Now on to some baby cardi knitting!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Gosh Peg, that beret looks simply stunning! Want some more of the viscose? (I wish my copy of IW would arrive, but they say that the first issue on subscription takes at least 12 weeks to process. WHY-Y-Y-Y-Y???)

2:21 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

The hat looks great! It is such a quick knit.

Thanks so much for turning me on to this pattern. I'd been holding on to my yarn for such a long time waiting for just the right pattern for it. Funny how that goes.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, that hat is gorgeous! and will look stunning on you, very festive.
Thank you for the cake recipe, I love cake recipes like that, simple and very good. Will try this one out for sure.
My mother turned me on to C.M. Davidson, and you're absolutely right, very easy reads, fun, and just enough bit of a mystery...
I'm reading the Secret Life of Bees, just started it last night and didn't want to put it down...

5:19 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Peg, it looks wonderful!

The beret is lovely, I can just see you strolling in the snow wearing it! :0)

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting