Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, March 17, 2007

I'm Knitting, when the rains come!



Just wanted to let you know that I may be gardening, but then the rain comes and I get some time with the needles. The dark will also send me inside to knit, but I have know gardeners who garden with a miner's lamp on their heads!

This is the Ultra Silk Berroco sweater. I am loving working with this yarn. It is so soft and buttery and does not split, as it is a tubular knit with a core of nylon! However, out of the six balls I have used, three of them have had a break and a knot! Discouraging, when you consider that this yarn was originally $13.99 a ball - lucky me, I got it for $7.00 a ball, but I am not happy about the knots. I have been knitting along and then had to frog back a row, as I like to make my joins at the beginning or end of a row.

I have the back and front completed and that is a sleeve on the top. I like the fact that the decreases for the armholes on the body and also on the sleeve are done in pattern. However, with decreases that have four rows in the pattern and then the pattern in the centre panel have four different rows, it is a knit to do when you have no distractions! The sleeve has been at the frog pond - well for just a few rows - more than once! One more sleeve - I usually knit both sleeves together, but these sleeves would probably have been my ruination if I had tried to do them together. As you can see, the sun was shining the day I took the photo and I had been out in the garden earlier!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, you're so lucky to get a few hours of sun today. It rained nonstop here. Definitely a knitting inside day for me. I can understand how you feel about knots. That's one reason I don't knit with any Noro yarns anymore. It's just too maddening. One time I had 5 knots in one ball!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Oh, I HATE knots! I find I usually pull out about a row's worth of yarn as I begin, so I can check. Like Lavender says, it is too maddening. :0)

12:03 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I hate that too, when I find knots rather more than I want to. Surely they could manage it better? But the sweater is looking beautiful.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Yet another gorgeous sweater! Peg, you just amaze me!
Enjoy the rains!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I love the blue of your sweater Peg. That cale detail is very nice too. It will make it look elegant I think. Can't wait to see it put together.

12:21 PM  
Blogger gail said...

Your sweater looks wonderful. I envy your gardening. Here in southern Wisconsin the snow has left us but the lakes are still frozen. The bulbs I planted last fall have sent up some tentative green shoots. The snowdrops are heavy with white blossoms in protected areas. Temperatures are still in the 30's and low 40's during the day. Too soon to take the leaves off the beds.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi Peg - I wrote you a long note but couldn't post it for some reason. I'm trying again.

Your knitting skills are amazing, your garments look beautiful. Taught my granddaughter to knit when she was 8 - we made so many scarves that if knotted together we could have escaped from a ten storey building!!

Please come for tea - any day is fine at 4:00 p.m. We'll sit in the gazebo if warm, if not it's cozy in the house and you can look at all my china, ha! ha! My favorite tea cake is Gateau de Mamy au Poire and I would love to bake it for you. I always buy Harrods teas when in London - they have shops at Heathrow and Gatwick so I wait until I'm on my way back and load up.

Thanks for keeping in touch - love to hear from you on my blog.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh - I am loving the Ultra Silk. I was tempted to pick up some at the LYS, but the colours were not the most flattering on me. Just picked up the new Rowan #41 - if you want to take a gander at it - let me know. We should have a little knitting/coffee break sometime soon!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting