Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Elizabeth Zimmerman - I love her patterns!!
This little sweater is from EZ's Knitter's Almanac and is the project for February. I probably will give this little sweater to a couple expecting a baby in August, but I have started another one for charity in a soft mauve cotton - again from stash. In the pictured sweater, I used some left over Orchide with a silk, merino wool and acrylic content and it is so soft and I have enough to knit a little hat - probably will use the pattern from Oneskein by Leigh Radford that I have knit before. I will need to double the yarn, but that is okay by me - I have enough of this Orchide yarn in a brown to make a sweater and I think with buttons such as a little turtle, truck or something not too babyish (not probably a word, but you know what I mean) will be fine for a wee baby.

I am also knitting a Picovolli by Grumperina from six balls of Debbie Bliss Cathay that I had in my stash. I had copied out this pattern, found in Mag Knits, many a moon ago, but when I was in search of a pattern to knit up the Cathay in a beautiful rose colour, I came upon it again. I used Cathay in the Green Gables sweater I knit a few months ago and it was a deep raspberry colour and it is a wonderful yarn to work with. I love cotton, but when it is mixed with a bit of silk and/or viscose, it knits up so well and the stitch definition is perfect. The other good point was that I got the Cathay on for 50% off. I like a bargain, especially when it is for a delicious yarn that I might not buy at full price.

I frogged the Muskat cotton sweater that I had been knitting in the beautiful jade colour. It was just too 'stiff' and I was unhappy with the garment. I really love the colour, so I went in search of a pattern for myself. While at my LYS yesterday buying buttons for the EZ baby sweater, I asked about some patterns for the Garnstudio Muskat and was directed to some lovely pattern books. The problem with the books is they are in a language I cannot read. This is not a problem, as the LYS owner told me to go to www.garnstudio.com and look for the pattern I liked in the book and then I could copy it in English! It works!! I now have a pattern for a short sleeved cardi for summer and enough yarn for the project. It is in the queue after Picovolli!!

After I told you about Kelli Robinson and the podcast Unwound, I learned in her latest podcast that she will be unable to continue podcasting. I am sorry, as I will miss her, but she is a new attorney and starting out in a large practice, so she needs to devote her time to her career. I like the fact that she told her listeners up front and did not just float away into podcast ether!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

The baby sweater is so cute. I am sure the couple with love it.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Oh, it turned out great! As for the other, I vote for turtles. Can't wait to see the new pattern you found...and translated!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Peg, you are a very busy bee, but what lovely gifts you make!

5:40 AM  
Blogger gail said...

Lovely baby sweater. I've only made the baby surprise sweater. Next baby --I'll make this one.

8:09 AM  
Blogger gail said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. No, the lilacs are not in Ontario. They are in Madison, Wisconsin, at the University of Wisconsin Arboretum, started by Aldo Leopold decades ago. This is the decorative bush/tree/plantings area. The most famous parts of the Arboretum are the restored prairies and woodlands that were typical of this area before the Europeans came.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Gosh, you are keeping busy, Peg! I can't keep up with your projects - and you FINISH them too, which is more than I can say for myself! Well done you.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hi Peg,
Coming out of lurker status to say how much I enjoy your blog and all your projects. I am just up the island from you, so can relate to the garden and weather that you often speak of (type of?).
Love the little baby sweater!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Beautiful baby sweater! I'm with Ms.K on the turtles.
Thank you for the Drops Designs link you sent, I put it up in my sidebar if anyone is interested.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Love the baby sweater! I was sorry to hear Unwound was leaving us, too. I think a lot of work goes in to a podcast, though, so it's understandable. :0)

I can't wait to see the pattern you've found, the jade sounds lovely.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting