Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, May 10, 2007

That was a long 48 hours!!

I am back in the swing, but we have had a guest from Brazil staying with us this week, so I have read blogs, knitted, listened to podcasts, but did not post! I realized that I would not be a great knitter if I lived in a very warm climate! Ana, our guest, said there would be no need for even fingerless gloves! I know they knit in Brazil and there are parts they need wool for warmth, but not where Ana lives!

This is a new baby sweater. I saw this little sweater on Iris' blog . It is the simple baby sweater from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac - I had the book and I wanted to do some charity knitting, so I cast on! The yarn is going to be substituted - I was sure I had 3 ounces, which is what the pattern called for, but I have looked high and low and only have 2 ounces. However, I now have the pattern down pat, so all is not lost. After all, isn't it all about the process! It also keeps me away from finishing my GDs shrug. I have the shoulder seams completed, the picked up stitches around the front and neck area all worked into the ribbing called for and now it is time to set in the sleeves!






I am always impressed with the simplicity but beauty of EZ's patterns. I like the way she does the increases about the neck of the little sweater! There is a simple, but effective, little drawing of the process of M1 (making 1 more stitch) and the instructions are very simple. You make a firm backward loop over the right-hand needle and then work it in pattern on the following row! There are absolutely no 'holes' for the increases and it is really simple and looks wonderful!

I also think this little variegated yarn does not do justice to the 'Gull pattern' that is on the body and the sleeves. I have some wonderful Marks and Kattens Orkide from my French Vanilla sweater and it will make a beautiful creamy white sweater for a baby and have some warmth, as it is 40% merino wool and the silk in the yarn makes it just so soft! The variegated yarn will make wonderful hats for babies!!

I am a big fan of podcasts and I found a new knitting one - well new to me. It is Unwound with Kelli Robinson from Birmingham, Alabama. I have learned so much about knitting, books available and the pole she conducts each podcast. Give it a listen, if you like to knit by listening to podcasts or books on your MP3 or IPod!!

Oh yes, that beautiful little Rosebud sweater I was going to make with the jade coloured yarn - frogged! The cotton was working out to be just to 'stiff'. It has been added to (the yarn, not the sweater) and so I have enough to make myself a little summer sweater!

3 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

I love Elizabeth Zimmermann too, but I haven't ever knit one of her patterns. I just ike reading her thoughts about knitting.

You asked what bunny pattern i have been using. I go it fromFuzzy Mitten's Etzy Shop It's a great pattern. I think I'll go start another one now!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Glad you're posting again, Peg.
Here's a question for you and/or Caroline (or anyone else who knows about these things): which EZ book would you recommend particularly?

4:23 AM  
Blogger KimK said...

I just found out about EZ's make 1 (I think it was in Knitting Without Tears) and I didn't believe it until I tried it -- you're right, Peg, it's just about invisible!

I have a question about your Green Gable. Did you have to do anything to keep the neck from rolling? I'm only halfway down the yoke, but the stockinette is really rolling, and I'm wondering if it rolls as badly once you're wearing it.

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting