Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Another Way to Knit!

My DH is a Rotarian and this picture and story was in the latest issue. I just had to put it on my blog, as I so admire that young woman Emine, who lives in Turkey.



Emine was born without arms into very poor conditions and kept at home with no education until she was 18. At that age, she learned about a Rotary sponsored programme called a concentrated learning encounter! She was so excited about learning to read and write and then to pass it on to others. What a remarkable young woman and her face is so beautiful. You can see the goodness in her eyes. Can you imagine knitting with your toes? I am also amazed at the delicacy with which she is holding the tea cup! Just had to pass along this story.

I have been continuing to knit on Picchu Picchu, as I did the prep for a colonoscopy yesterday and will have the procedure today. I thought I would be very hungry, but the purgative you have to take does not make you feel 100%, so hunger was not the problem I had expected. I have not strayed far from the bathroom, but knitting was possible and did happen!

6 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Hope all goes well for you today Peg, I'm thinking of you!

Brenda
http://brenda.typepad.com/

7:11 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

wow! What a story! I can't imagine knitting with my toes. Its amazing what people can do when they don't have something.
Hope things go well for you today!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Hope you get good results .Emine is wonderful .I hate to say this in case it sounds racist but I wonder if she was considered worthless as she was not expected to marry .Holly is still in shock at the way girls are often treated in China from watching a documentary.If I ever got rich We'd open a huge home for them .Emine would probably have been given a computer as she could easily use her mouth to operate it had she been born into a wealthier family .She really should have been schooled at least .

8:21 AM  
Blogger yarnahoy said...

Hope you feel very well soon!
And thank you for sharing the wonderful story & pictures.
:)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found your blog while researching on CLE. The president of Rotary Club-Mandaluyong in the Philippines has contracted me to write about their projects, one of which is CLE.

http://mmmpressions.multiply.com

6:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Would you mind my using your story in my article? I can show you the article. I can't guarantee, though, that your story will be in the article. Even if I include it, I cannot guarantee that it will be published.

By the way, mmmpressions is a joint blog.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting