Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Knitting Gauge!

You know how you think there are some things in life you would rather not do and yet you have to do and you put it off as long as possible. Well knitting gauge is one of those things that I have put off longer than I should have and tomorrow is the start of the KAL for the Not So Warm or Einstein Coat!



I love these buttons - they are like a flower and I intend to stitch around the area where the petals join the centre when I sew the buttons onto the coat! The one thing about this coat is that it will warm me before it is even finished. You cast on the stitches for the 'skirt' of the coat and it is knit in garter stitch with due care and attention to the number of ridges you create on the RS! When this 'skirt' part has 226 ridges from the beginning, you are finished! I will use stitch markers to count off the ridges and then leave a marker at every 50 ridges! That is 452 rows of garter stitch on 72 sts! A crochet cast on is used and also you slip the first stitch on each row in a purl way and then take the yarn to the back and knit. It makes for a very neat edge to pick up stitches for the remainder of the coat. I did make the Albert Coat just to try out the method! It is a good way to see how the larger coat will work!


Now lest you have left me, we will carefully pick up stitches for the right or left front, knit that up to the shoulder, then do the other front the same , but remember to put buttonholes in the right front! There will also be some buttonholes in the skirt piece. Now you pick up along the side of the 'skirt' for the back and knit up to the neck. Now, if you have strong arms, you pick up along the front, starting at the shoulder, go down to the 'skirt' and up the back to the shoulder! Knit and have a fan handy - this coat is getting warmer by the row! When you have completed both sleeves, you sew only two seams - one for the right side from the neck to the cuff and then repeat it for the left side - then, sew on the buttons and admire your efforts! What was I thinking when I signed up - likely I was NOT thinking, but a challenge is just right for this time of year!! Wish me luck!

As our climate "usually" does not call for a heavy wool coat in winter - it would constantly be damp, and who wants me about smelling like a wet sheep? However, this winter, I should be knitting with vulcanized rubber and have weights on the bottom of the coat!! Never mind, by the time my Not So Warm coat is completed, it will be spring - oh yes, I forgot about April showers!

This simple, but very well designed coat, is the wonderful styling of Sally Melville and can be found in her "Book 1: The Knit Stitch"!

If you care to follow along with this KAL, you can find it at London Wul Farm I am looking forward to watching everyone's progress! But first, that dreaded getting gauge thing - just too much yarn and time to spend and then realize it wouldn't/couldn't possibly fit me!! I have followed that wrong road before and the crying is not pretty!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh - at least you've done YOUR homework !

i haven't chosen my yarn yet !

8:59 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Good luck, Peg! I'm looking forward to following your progress on this (while I just make small things).

7:58 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

A friend of my made that coat and she had fun doing it too. I think your gauge swatch will make it that much more fun, because your confidence will be up.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Really nice pattern, Peg, very nice indeed! Looking forward to seeing this knit happen.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting