Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, May 28, 2007

Perhaps knitting will slow down a bit!

This is another of Elizabeth's Zimmermann's simple baby sweaters from the Knitter's Almanac. If you think the little neck being turned down is a design item - you are partly right! Actually, I forgot to make the first buttonhole, and I was not prepared to frog back, so I made the next buttonhole and decided to just turn back the neck a bit. I think this may be better, because if I remember, babies do not really have a neck and sometimes it is difficult to get in under the little chin to button a sweater. Also, I did not think it necessary to put buttons down the entire front.

This is made from Sari cotton and is a beautiful shade of mauve, which does not show up as well as it might.

The window below is on the front of our house. About four days ago, our house was a California Rustic with chocolate brown trim. Our home is covered with cedar channel siding. After all, we live in British Columbia, where the cedar tree is king!! It is time to repaint, and I always thought the trim on the windows was insignificant - it was only about 1.5" and not enough room to put some decorative shutters beside the windows. My desire was to have something more significant around the window.

Now I am not great at picturing things in my mind, and John, who I have been married to for almost 47 years, is not always able to read my mind!! So when we were discussing how wide to make the new trim and how to have a little detail on the top board, John decided that a bit of cardboard tacked up would give us an idea of just how wide the board should be. That plan worked well, as I love the new window trim. The off-white on the inner window had only one coat of paint at the point the picture was taken , but now it has a second coat and the paint is scraped off the glass. The grey of the body of the house is not quite as blue as the photo shows, and the trim is more of a charcoal grey. We plan to paint the front door a cranberry red!!

So, as you can see, the knitting may not get as much attention in the next few weeks. However, I do not do heights, but I do do gardening! While John paints, and I can fetch and carry for him, I do that; otherwise I have been doing some gardening!!


7 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

The cardboard is an excellent idea! My husband did something similar. We decided to paint a wall a dark tomato red-orange, so he painted a big hunk of cardboard at propped it against the wall so we could see what we thought of it.

Sometimes, the men do think!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

What a lovely colour combo& great idea re the cardboard ,our cottage is the boring black and white traditional !1
In answer to your question
cotted means felted /matted .
You are certainly churning out the knitting , love that little sweater; that Elizabeth Z book sounds great. I have her 'Knitting Without Tears' book which I like

4:55 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Thanks for reading my blog Peg - you are the first to leave me a comment! How very exciting - thank you thank you!

I'm still very new at this, and have much to learn - like how to upload my pictures!!

I hope to learn lots from expert bloggers like you!

Knit on........ kate

6:06 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Look at that, another Kate commenting.
More importantly, a lovely baby sweater! I must order myself an Elizabeth Zimmerman book, I am really enjoying the patterns you are making.
This time of year it is always hard to balance knitting and gardening, isn't it?

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Lovely little baby sweater, Peg. I have seen several renditions of that pattern lately, and it's very cute. Also, the new paint and trim look great. The dark trim really sets off the window nicely.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Peg, I love your comment about babies not really having necks - that's so accurate!
What smart colours you've chosen for your house - is it all done now?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I do hope you'll show the front door when it's painted! I think it will look spectacular!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting