Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Picovoli - finished!This is the completed picovoli - I could have knit a few more inches - well, I could have if I had more Cathay, but as you can see from the photo below, I was finished. I know the picot edging used up a bit more yarn than a plain edging would have, but I like the edging and I will show a picture of the sweater on me, once it is dry. I sort of steamed it with the iron and it looks different than it will on the body. I have already tried it on, and so far, so good.

I used the Debbie Bliss Cathay (6 balls) as was called for in the pattern. I had looked at Grumperina's pattern many times, and I know it was one of the very popular patterns a year or so ago. I can see why it is a good sweater to have in your wardrobe. I did not change anything in the pattern, so I will probably knit it again!! I knit this sweater in about a week, and I like it! I was itching to finish it, as I want to start another project with the Garnstudio, Muskat.
Yesterday the postman brought me a book I had ordered and I am thrilled with it. It is "No Sheep For You" by Amy R. Singer.
I have heard this book reviewed on a few podcasts, and was pleased that I had ordered a copy. Now that I have it in my hands, I am even more happy.

At the beginning of the book, Amy tells us all about all the 'non wool' fibres available for knitters. The process of 'designing' these yarns is clearly explained. She gives the good and not-so-good points of each yarn and then later shows some blends that enhance the yarn by combining the good and no-so-good into one perfect yarn. I hope this is not breaking any laws, but one thing that I learned from the book is - if you have a slippery/soft yarn and it seems to collapse on itself when you wind it into a centre-pull ball, take the inner tube of a toilet paper roll and put that over the post of the ball winder and then wind your yarn onto the roll! She also says that with these slippery yarns to NOT pull the yarn from the centre, but to use it from the outside of the ball. I knew about using it from the outside of the ball, after knitting with lace weight mohair! It is a very clever trick, I think, and if I only had learned about that, I would be thrilled with the book.

There are many patterns in the book that appeal to me. I want to knit a gansey - nice pattern in the book! There are patterns for a purse, jackets, cardigans, pullovers and socks. I am so happy to have it in my knitting library and I salute Amy for a terrific book. I have learned so much about the fibres for knitting, other than wool, and, if you are lucky enough to be able to use most wools, then the patterns could be used with wool as well. Can you tell I love this book!

Oh yes, I was in Cumberland, a small village near here that is celebrating the May Empire Days (Queen Victoria's birthday) and the LYS had a great sale. I will save my purchases to show you another day. A girl has to support both yarn shops near here, now doesn't she!

8 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

I love your finished Picovoli! I've gone back to the pattern many times myself, I can't wait to see how it looks on you.

I have No Sheep For You on reserve at my library, and am waiting sooo impatiently! Glad you enjoyed it. :0)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

That is lovely . I have looked at that patterna few times and thought about making it.
Interesting to read your review of No Sheep for you; I too have it on my wish list and it does seem to get great reviews from blogs I have read .

12:34 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Another book to go on the wishlist - thanks for that great review, Peg.

2:58 AM  
Blogger gail said...

Wow, very impressive. Pivoli is lovely. Fast work and good work!!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Very Pretty! I love the color, and I know Cathay is so soft it must feel lovely too. Boy did you cut it close with your yarn! I will have to look for that book at my local borders and see what it is like. Sounds interesting.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I'd been thinking about that book and how much it would suit you, ever since I heard about it, Peg. I'm so glad you've got it. It's the new ideas we love, isn't it? I shall be on the look out for new and entertaining fibres for you!

1:16 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Great looking top! I have long admired the construction in it, and think it is a classic for sure.
That book is very high on my wish list. I am someone who is bothered by wool unless the temp is below -10 (celsius) and that just doesn't happen a lot here! So most of my sweaters and tops are non-wool yarns. You have confirmed for me that I really need to check out this book!
And a sale at Cumberland? You lucky thing!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

I just got a B&N gift card. Now I know what book to buy! Thanks for the review.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting