Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, June 15, 2007

Bette has hit the 'boards' again!
My blocking board is complete! Here lies Bette's back and both fronts. I have completed the first sleeve and have started the second sleeve!!

I do my blocking by pinning the piece of garment to the board - of course, now I can use the gingham for measuring!! After it is pinned in place, I take a mister full of water and give it a good misting, cover with a towel for a bit and let it rest and dry!

I have tried 'wet' blocking, but I do not like this method, as I found that the garment piece stretched too much and was difficult to work with. If anyone has any hints on blocking, I would love to hear about them! This works for me, so that is what I use. I have thought of getting a book on finishing, but so far I have done it 'my way'.

On the previous post, I got many compliments. Thank you, but I got the idea from the days when I used to do needlework. Somewhere I found out about using gingham, then your measuring is done by counting the blocks on the fabric! I used to 'stretch' my needlework on the old frame, but it got lost in moving - probably I just took it apart, as I had used styrofoam that was about an inch thick! I also had my DH make me a board when I was quilting. We used the large sheets used for insulating - they were about 1.5 inches thick and I covered it with flanelette. It did not even need pins, when I was trying colour configurations in a quilt. I could pin the pattern to the board, or pictures for inspiration! This board is particle board, and when not in use, it will be stowed away and since it is a fair size, it needs to be sturdy.

That is my yarn baller in the upper right hand corner!! Another tool that I love, but my DH did not make it. He made me a swift that I talked about in a much earlier post! If you go to May 25, 2006, you can see my swift in action. It is wonderful for me to have a spouse who is willing to make the tools I want for my hobby! Thanks, J.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Peg!

My best blocking method is with a hand steamer. I bought it for dresses, etc... but it works great for knits. I steam the piece that I am blocking first, then pin it down, then steam again.

The best part about the steamer is that it dries really fast. You don't have the super long wait time like you do with wet/mist blocking.

Sweater looks great!

OH - Signed up for the October retreat today! YAY!

1:29 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

great idea for using the gingham, it would be such an easy measure with that.
Another great job by miseour le hubby.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

That is such a good idea! I think I'll cover the ironing board, everything with 1" gingham and forget all this irritating searching for the tape and measuring of everything from lengths of yarn to finished pieces. Gosh you're clever! And a quilter too, YAY!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Like all the best ideas: simple but ingenious!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting