Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, June 04, 2007

Four Projects - Remember - no more than Four (4)This yarn - Rowan Cotton Glace is going to become the sweater on the model below, I had started to knit a Debbie Bliss Moss Stitch pullover with the yarn, but it was not working - I think wool would be a better selection for the moss stitch, as the cotton was showing where I might not have perfect tension! Now perhaps this would have blocked out, but I just was not feeling it with the pattern. So, I wrote down the gauge marked on the ball band, how many balls I had and went looking. I had admired this sweater before and when I came upon it and realized that the gauge was obtainable and I loved both the sweater and the yarn - it all sounded like a good plan to me. There is also a pattern in the same book for a sleeveless tank that could be changed to match this cardi! I have enough yarn, and a sweater set! Perfect!

The picture is of the 'Baby Cables' in the pattern - they are easy, as every fourth row on the RS, you k2tog, leave the two stitches on the left needle. Insert right needle between the two sts and knit the first st again, slip both sts off left needle at same time and proceed on! It is great that they are 'easy' as both sleeves are completely done in baby cables. I am hoping that something like this pattern will keep the cotton from 'stretching' too much.
I love the closing on the sweater. Here they have used a 'shawl' pin with a beautiful shell backing. My LYS got a shipment of new buttons and there is one that is pewter with a few details on it and about the size of the shell backing on this pin. The button is about $8.00, but I think a sweater like this deserves a distinct closing! Now I am happy with the Rowan Cotton Glace. It is very nice to work with and does not split, tire the hands or feel rough. It is soft and smooth and just the nicest colour!

Isn't this just the most beautiful red for a wee baby's hat? The yarn is Grignasco's Merinogold. I have knit a lot of projects with this yarn and I love it! In fact, I love the colour red so much that I might get my LYS to order enough to replace a wonderful red cardigan I bought and wore out - like leather patches on the sleeves to cover the holes out - a few years ago. The baby in the photo below is modeling the little hat. It is from "Knitting for Baby" by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas. I am beginning to realize that I truly love garter stitch! I have linked you to Kristin's blog 'Getting Stitched On the Farm'. She has co-published several books, and is due to come out with a book soon. She does lots of embroidery on knits as well. I have one of her books on order and also plan to get her latest book - the title escapes me now. It could be from the paint fumes!!
This is EZ vest #7. It is for my DD and she is a little bigger than I am and a lot taller, so I added a few stitches and then added a few more ridges. The point where the needles are is where you start to go up the back. I will stop when I finish the first half of the short rows, go back to the stitches I cast on for the neck, get rid of the waste yarn and knit the other front and then meet at the second turn where my needle is now and proceed up the back! This is a great knit for just picking up when you are so tired you do not want to think, but really want the joy of the rhythm of the needles and the lulling effect that can have on me!!
This is my fourth project and it is the Muskat yarn from Garnstudio and this pattern from Garnstudio! Click on pattern #32 and you will see this little ss lace cardi! The beauty of the Garnstudio patterns, is that you choose one and print it off - all for free! Now don't be alarmed if you do this and the pattern has a chart and the symbols are in another language. In the body of the pattern, they show you what the different symbols are in English, so I just enlarged the chart and then typed in the English terms and drew in the little symbols. There symbols are a bit different than what I am used to, but it works! I always do this when I knit from a chart - enlarge it, as I can then mark it up if I wish and keep the pattern book clean. Also, it is easier on my eyes.

Most of these patterns were started before the house painting, but the little red hat I just wanted to try! I have a charity that will gladly accept baby hats, sweaters and blankets! It is a clever little pattern and I know I will knit more than one of these. The little sweater is a cutie too!

Now that I look at them, I realize that I do have a bit of diversity in the four projects, but two are much easier, and that is always my goal. When I have something with a bit of a challenge - like having to pay attention - I like to have at least one project that is like the vest - just knit for that pure joy of moving my fingers, the lull of the needles - wood is actually soothing in sound - and the ability to look away and dream!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

That first cardigan is absolutely stunning!! And a pewter button would be perfect with that blue.
I understand your project diversity, I too like to have different projects for different times. All of yours look a lot of fun.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

It's all lovely, Peg! I like mixing in a few baby or quick knit items when I'm working on a bigger project. :0)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Peg! I love the sweater you are working on. At first glance I thought it was Thermal from the previous Knitty. I just picked up some yarn for that sweater.

Nice choice. Glad to see you are enjoying the Cotton Glace.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for dropping by the blog, Peg.
I haven't made it to Fun Knits yet, although I have had people buy yarn for me there. I looked at the retreat last year, but it didn't work out schedule-wise. I may yet get there, especially if she is offering two different ones!
And my mum is moving to the Valley soon (from Gabriola), so I will be down your way more often. We will have to arrange a yarn store meeting.

1:54 PM  
Blogger gail said...

What wonderful projects you have! I really like that baby cable sweater and the closing. It will be so much fun to wear!!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

It's good to have a mixture of projects on the go so you can choose easy or challenging according to your mood.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi Peg - my busy life with lots of visiting company, garden chores, graduations and such, have limited my time to comment on all the blogs (so many great ones on my list now!) including your's - sorry. Do know I've been keeping up with your clicking needles though and just love everything you've been making. This latest will be gorgeous - I love the closure.
Next week we're off to the Pacific NW - your beautiful island (in Victoria only for one day unfortunately!) then on to Vancouver, Bellingham and Seattle. Some day I would like to stay on the island for at least a week and explore everywhere - have been told the Pacific Rim National Park is the place to see....and there are wineries along the way. Sounds perfect to me!
Enjoy this week.
Hugs, Mary

5:53 AM  
Blogger gail said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! You asked what pattern I used for the blanket. None. I made it up. I began to knit bias squares from my left over sock yarn--cast on one stitch. Knit every row, increase one at beginning of every row until you have 50 stitches. Then decrease one stitch at beginning of every row until you have 0 stitches!! Use ends to sew squares together--putting beginning or ending triangle points together. Repeat until your fingers wear down to nubs!
Your story about the left over fabric quilt is great. I planned such a quilt, then determined that knitting was more portable. My sewing machine is in the basement. Not very interactive.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Peg, I love the new sweater pattern. The cross-over front closure and the shape will be really flattering.

I love the little garter stitch hat too. I recently found a custom-fit adult version of the same hat that I want to try. It's at http://schmeebot.com/nid/283.htm

Good luck with the painting!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi Peg...I love reading your blog, you are a wonderful knitter and speedy too! I have printed a couple patterns from Garnstudio but I can't find any of the chart translations. Just exactly where are they? I really want to knit a cabled cardigan I found there but can't figure out the cable crosses.
Karen

8:58 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

oh peg that cardigan is lovely! What book is the pattern in??
A cardi like that will most definately deserve a distinguished button!

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting