Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, June 11, 2007

It Works! Should I write to Elsebeth Lavold!

I posted yesterday and mentioned that in the sweater design the cables in the panel on the edges of the front were designed with the cable spots both going the same way. I kept looking at this in the book and thinking about it and decided that I would reverse these cables. I mean the large group of cables in the middle that do not really show up as cables, but that is how they are knit. On the left side, you put the 3 stitches in back. On the right side, I put the 3 stitches in front. I think that is a nicer effect and I am sticking with it!

If you want to see how it goes in the pattern, you can have a close look at two posts ago and see the picture from the front of the book. Would Elsebeth mind that I changed her pattern a wee bit? Sorry, Elsebeth!

14 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Hooray! I'm glad it worked out. I think it's a nice little detail to have the ables going in opposite directions. That's going to be a really nice sweater.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

It's great that it worked so well - one of the things I love about knitting is having the ability to change things. :0)

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you do such beautiful knitting. Have you checked the errata for that pattern? I think those changes are worthy of incorporating into the pattern.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, it's lovely and I would've done the same thing!

1:06 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Elsbeth would admire your ingenuity and artistry because you are making the sweater you want.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Chickie - I did check the errata, but they say there are none. I don't think it is an error, as such, but when there is a definite slope, created by the v-neck shaping of the cardi, it would make sense to me to have it follow the shaping in direction! I wonder if there is sometimes an error created by the translation?
I do love her designs!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I like your way MUCH better! Well done! I love the twinset idea too!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Martina said...

Good decision to change it!

4:02 AM  
Blogger KimK said...

Another symmetry-lover here, posting her agreement. :)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I agree with Charity, knitting is wonderful because you can make it your own. Even with a beautiful pattern, you can add a detail that works for you. I really like it, Peg.

10:41 AM  
Blogger gail said...

Wonderful! You did absolutely the right thing!!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

The mirror-image is much better; well done, Peg!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Very very pretty! I'm glad it worked.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

You did EXACTLY the right thing, Peg, because cables should always be done that way, especially on two fronts of a jacket. They should go in opposite directions, and you instinctively knew that. Well done you!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting