Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Blocking Board! Using up our Stash!

I had read on a blog, or heard it on a podcast about making a blocking board! I know, I could buy one, but we have lots of stashes - wood, old blankets and, of course, yarn! This piece of particle board was cut into two pieces, and then my DH put it together for me. We also need to add the pieces on either side, or when I have it on the table to block, it would rock. Perhaps you do not understand, but trust me, I am sure it will work.

As some of you know who have read my blog before, I used to be a hooker. I always haunted the Sally Ann for old woolens and blankets. I often made pillows and used the old blankets for the backing of the pillow, and the hooked burlap for the front!!

Now we have it all stapled in place and we turned it over. It looks like a table top, but it actually is sitting on a table we made from an old sewing machine base! The table comes in handy in the yard in summer - even for making blocking boards!

My DH had to go to a meeting, so I have just placed the gingham on the top to take a picture for you. I went shopping for the gingham and lo and behold this is actually decorating fabric and it is nice and wide and the squares are exactly 1". I had a blocking board from the days when I did needlework, but I had not used it for quite a while, so I got rid of it! Oh well, it was the much smaller gingham, and I am thrilled to have found the 1" gingham.

I thought you might like to see a pot of coleus that is sitting in a pot on our patio!

Tomorrow we will finish off the blocking board and then I can block the back and both fronts from Bette! I have a huge table that this board will sit on and now I can block my knitting without crawling around the floor on my hands and knees!

7 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

This is a great idea, Peg! :0)

6:19 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Now that is brilliant. I am using a big piece of mdf that I cover with blankets and towels when I need it. But the 1" gingham? Pure genius.

6:25 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

That's nifty Peg! Great idea. And I totally get that it would rock with just one board in the middle. It would be just like a see-saw.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, you are brilliant!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

The 1" Gingham is so very smart. Nice blocking board.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Brilliant idea, Peg, and pretty too!

1:18 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

My husband gave me some of the insulation foam and I covered it with a beach towel, but the gingham? Priceless.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting