Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Picking up 193 stitches on a neck!!

I am at the point of having to pick up 193 stitches for the ribbing of the neckline of Picchu Picchu! Believe me, I have done it once, realized that I did the three-needle bind off on the sleeves the wrong way - tore off the neckline ribbing (only one row completed) and then took out the ##)%(#* seams on the sleeves, put them onto the two needles, and with the WS facing did the bind off! I like it much better and am glad that I spent a beautiful summer evening correcting the mistake before it bugged me even more. No one else would have realized that it was wrong, but I would and I matter most!

I think my doing all this frogging is a sign of my age and maturity - that sounds like I am ancient! Well, I don't feel it, but before I might have settled for the way I had done it - would have had the nice cast off pattern on the top sleeve seam inside the sweater! Now, I am happy with the process, but I want to feel when the sweater is done that I did my best and when I am complimented (surely hope I will be) that I feel proud of my work! When you have put over $60.00 into the yarn, new wooden needles, etc., you hope for a superior product - at least I do!

So, today I will pick up the 193 stitches again and proceed. I did come up with a way to spread the stitches out evenly, what I thought was clever anyway. Between the shoulder seams and the front edge, I marked the seam and front edge with a safety pin, folded the work in half- place another pin, then fold this pin mark to the other pin at seam/front edge and place a pin. Now the area is divided in quarters - simply divide the number of stitched (68 - 1/4 =17) and pick up 17 stitches between each set of pins. The back edge requires 57 stitches, but I divided the same way with safety pins and tried for 14 stitches between pins and added the extra stitch at the centre back. Hope this makes sense, but I had lots of time while knitting stockinette to figure out this problem. I am sure some clever knitter long before me did this, but I had to re-invent the wheel! After the neck ribbing, I cast on at each of the sleeve edges and knit more ribbing. Sew up the side and underarm sleeves, make a crocheted hook for the fabulous button, block a bit more and wait for cool weather to wear it.

I think I will then start the Icarus shawl in the latest Interweave Knit out of the Fleece Artist Silk Stream I bought on the trip with my daughter to Victoria. It is shown in my May posts.

I took the time yesterday to move my yarn stash and books. I have been a 'hooker' - the type of rugs hooked with what looks like a crochet hook and had two large shelving units full of wool fabric for hooking. I have put the hooking aside for the time being, so I got a couple of totes and cleared one unit, put the totes in the crawl space and moved my stash to the shelving unit in our activity room - computer, sewing machine, cutting table, etc. along with my stash. I made myself a promise yesterday to not purchase anymore yarn until the new year! Oh my, I may regret that promise!

Here is a photo of one of my hooked rugs, so you get the idea of what a 'hooker' with a 'stripper' can produce. The stripper has blades and cuts the fabric in various widths depending on the mat or rug you are hooking.



For any bloggers who read my blog, those three churches are very famous in Mahone Bay, NS. I try when on holiday to bring back something of my current craft to be a memory of the trip. Just might have to forget my promise to not buy yarn until 2007! Did I say that?

3 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

This might seem a funny question but what denomination are they? I love hooked rugs as I used to sit making them with Mum when I was little .

11:33 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

you are cruising right along on your Pic.. piccca.... ummm Pikachu is what I think of when you say that lol so thats what i'll call it :) Can't wait to see the final product. I think you'll be taking back that no more yarn till the new year, unless you have a ton ton ton. SHOW US YOUR STASH!!!!
Don't forget to email me so I can show you how to add your pics. Celticcaston at rogers dot com :)

5:44 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I am currently using the Silk Stream for a jacket-I have three skeins of it that are more or less matching (as much as they can be). I just adore working with it!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting