Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wool Peddler's Shawl moving right along!

Here is a photo of the shawl I started this past weekend. As I mentioned, we are going to lots of jazz concerts, so lots of time to sit and knit.

















Here is the detail of the 'lace' part. I accidentally changed the pattern a bit, but once I made the 'error', I kept it that way and unless I told you, you would probably never know!










I just did something I have never done before while knitting with a circular needle on a shawl. I did not 'turn' and go back the other way. I 'joined' the shawl - wouldn't you think I would notice that I was doing a yo when the previous yo had not been knit! NO, NO and NO! I just was merrily knitting along and when I had done about 260 stitches, I realized the error of my ways. I am just reverse knitting one step at a time. I did not want to pull out the needle and tear it all back, as there is a yo, (sl1, k2tog, psso) yo - that would be tricky to pick up, I think, if I were just to pull out the needle and then pick up the stitches. The way I am doing it may seem longer, but I think the other way would be even longer!! I am sure I am not the first person to do something like this, but I am sure it will be a while before I do it again!!

Just in case you think I do not really care for red, I am including a photo of my new dishes on a tablecloth I made to go with them. They also look great on a lime green tablecloth and I want to get a nice Christmas green tablecloth. My favourite colour happens to be RED!

6 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I like that a lot! Not too much lace and a simple pattern when it is .The colour is lovely too ,where is the pattern from please Peg ?

4:47 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

Funky dishes!!!
Your shawl is going to be lovely! The pattern is working up sooo nicely!

5:05 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

The shawl is gorgeous. I love the colour and the pattern. As for mistakes - call them design features - we won't tell if you don't ;)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I love the shawl, and the colour, too. Red is one of my favourites, too. Sorry for the frustration in the tinking, but I agree with you. I wouldn't be able to pull out the needles, either.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

The pattern for the Wool Peddler's Shawl is from Cheryl Oberle's book 'Folk Shawls', which is from Interweave Knits. The yarn is Ultra Alpaca from Berroco.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Thanks Peg..not sure I have room for any more books but I do have a friend who tells me I can lend hers .We have some gorgeous fair-trade alpaca in red available here .Red is the best colour on Holly and she loves Vintage like shawls .I find them very useful for my hot-flush moments as they can be removed quickly .

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting