Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Another SIS - that stands for Shape It Scarf!!



I got this wonderful skein of Colinette on sale - it would appear I only buy yarn that is on a reduced sale!! The colour is does not show as beautifully as I would like, 'cause it is much more beautiful in real life! I knit it last evening, as I want it to wear with the mauve/purple sweater - perhaps tonight! It is smaller, but with the loftiness of the yarn, it is perfect. The beauty of SIS is the fact that it can be made to fit the yarn, the wearer, the whim or time - depending on which of these factors is more important at the time of knitting!!

I bought a needlework book at our Friends of the Library (of which I am one of the longest standing members) for $1.00 It is full of beautiful embroidery, tatting and crochet, with a smattering of knitting. I will show you a few of the beautiful photos.

You know what I love best about old books? It is the writing on the front page - you know to XXX with love from YYY. Well in this book it says - "To Madge. With Love. Xmas, 1933. It looks like Madge did enjoy the gift and used it well! The photos are wonderful and all the children have curly hair and all the ladies have recently had their hair 'waved' at the beauty salon. Mothers looking relaxed and wearing purls and 'fancy' dresses are cuddling their little ones in hand knit or crocheted shawls that had more stitches than an Alice Starmore sweater as Jo from Celtic Memory Yarns can tell us!


















The vests are from First Size to Sixth Size and use anywhere from 1.5 ozs to 4 ozs. of "Greenock" 3ply Baby Wool. You would also need a pair of bone knitting needles, No8. Do you think you could buy 'bone' knitting needles in a shop now? The little vests are so cute that I think they could be worn as a 'sweater' in warmer weather. There were also pattern for 'soakers' which would be worn over the diapers and whatever type of 'rubber' pant that was available.

I can remember seeing soakers for babies and also 'belly bands' which seemed to me were made from strips of flannel and then wrapped over the 'belly button' area and pinned. Oh dear, pins everywhere on little babies. The baby might also have long hand knitted socks that would be pinned to the bottom of the vest and then two diaper pins to make sure there was an even better chance of 'poking' the little one with something sharp!!

I think new Moms have it so much easier. Those little stretch one piece outfits that go into the washer and dryer and come out looking like they are new - all these little vests, soakers, etc. would have to be hand washed. Who was it that said something about 'the good old days'?

3 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Us new moms really are so fortunate! Yikes, when I imagine... It's funny to me now how many moms are going back to some of the old ways, cloth diapers, wool soakers, etc. :0)

Love the SIS! :0)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

The SIS is gorgeous! You will be looking quite lovely this evening. I just love those old books, the illustrations, everything.
When I had my children..the new disposables had just come out but alas, my children's bums just wouldn't tolerate them, so cloth diapers and diaper pins it was for us...the grandchildren a much different story, they've done wonders with the new diapers, but it does seem like a such a huge investment with something just thrown away...I still say there's something to be said about reusing one's resources...it's a bit of a crap shoot, eh?
Whatever your plans tonight Peg, have a great time of it!
(I'm with you, I do so love a good yarn sale!)

12:35 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

That scarf looks so like "Fandango" I just finished one in Raspberry for Holly that is almost it's sister.I think you said it was "Isis" but I love both .I think the colourway is Lilac one of my favourites.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting