Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Bargains! Bargains!

I went shopping this morning - to finish off my gift buying, but how can a girl not sweep past her LYS? I dropped in just as Jen, the owner, was marking down this beautiful cream silk/merino/acrylic! It went from $7.99 a 50 g ball to $2.00 a ball. It is from Marks and Kattens and is Orkide - 20% Silk 40% Merino Wool and 40% acrylic. It is very soft and is 'twisted' so it, hopefully, will not split!! Each ball contains 120 metres, so I bought 12 balls. I have a few sweaters in mind, so we shall see what I cast on the needles! Would you be able to resist, even if it does have some acrylic in it and it is really soft and it is not itchy and it will 'go with everything'? I thought not! The yarn has apparently been discontinued, so I bought a few extra! It is actually more cream than the photo shows!


There was also another $2.00 basket and in it were these balls of Filati Costa Blanca - I got two balls of the burnt orange and two of the off white. I am making some more Shape It Scarves. It was originally $6.99 a ball and it is 40% viscose 40% Poliammide and 20% Linen. It is thick and thin and also has strands with a bit of sheen. The beauty of the SIS (Shape It Scarf) is that it is straight garter stitch and really lends itself to yarns that 'blur' the stitch. This yarn is doing it beautifully. I am not sure if I have enough for two scarves of each colour, but there is certainly enough for one. If I don't keep both scarves, there is always gifting to consider.


Our LYS is in Courtenay, which is having Moonlight Madness tomorrow evening, is planning on having more sale yarns tomorrow. The shops really have their sales on all day, but after 5:00 pm, they close off part of the street and carole singers, etc. gather in the streets and sing and even a bit of theatre happens. The prices will be good on lots of items, even in my LYS, but I just did not feel that these yarns would be any cheaper. However, what is your thought on me going back tomorrow to see just what is happening? Any who disagree can now go and make a cup of coffee and the others can await to see what happens at my LYS tomorrow!

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Finishing your Christmas shopping? You're putting the rest of us to shame!
Hope you get more great deals tomorrow night, I'd be there if I were you too.

7:01 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Of course you're going back for more bargains! Lucky you.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Of course you'll go back, it sounds like a very fun evening.....so go, have fun!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Yay, Peg! You have to love a good bargain - can't wait to see what sweater is longing to be made from the lovely yarn. :0)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Oh heck, I'm so JEALOUS! You can just wander down and hear carol singers and everything (have mulled wine too, I shouldn't wonder) and STILL have the LYS to go to. I think I'll just go bury my head in the stash awhile...

12:51 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Oh, you must go! Bargains are bargains after all. Pretty yarn.

I've heard the term fancy work.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Always love to get a good deal on yarn!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting