Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, January 07, 2007

I Have Cast On my Not So Warm Coat!



That is the Times Colonist that arrived this morning, 7th of January! I did knit my gauge swatch yesterday and found that I needed to knit on 5 mm needles. Now, I am 1 yard short of the required yarn for my size! How did this happen - I think I thought I would knit a smaller size, but never mind. I just cast on 60 stitches for the 'skirt' part of the coat instead of 72! I thought that using larger needles would perhaps require more yardage, but then what do I know. I wanted to be sure I had enough, as the Paton's Katrina has been discontinued and the yarn shop I bought the yarn from is in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I just might call them tomorrow to see if they have any left, but I think I will be just fine with the shorter 'skirt' length on the coat!! This was the only area, except for the sleeves, where I felt I could make an adjustment.

I plan to get more knitting in today, but just wanted to let the other knitters in the KAL know that I did not start ahead of time and I will watch others with interest! Got a note from one gal today and she has yet to choose her yarn. I know how difficult choosing yarn for a project can be. My choice got narrowed down quite a bit, by the fact that I cannot wear a lot of wools. Katrina is a mix of rayon and polyester, so it is fine by me.

I read on a blog the other day that one gal cuts a snippet of yarn to see if she can wear it and then puts the snippet in her bra and wears it for a day. I have taken skeins of yarn and hung them about my neck like a boa for a few hours to see if they agree with my skin! The yarn snippet in the bra would NOT work for me. One of the side effects of having a double mastectomy is the fact that you have little feeling on your chest wall - not a problem really, except for the times you want to try a yarn for 'itchiness'!

2 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Well, see there, you certainly did pick a winner of a coat pattern. That yarn is so pretty! Love that colour.
I read that bit too, her putting the snippet of yarn in her bra...
Here's hoping that yarn store has more in what you need! :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Nice colour for the jacket. That will be a lot of knitting! Worth it though. Especially in our climate. You will get a ton of wear out of that little number.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting