Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, January 08, 2007

Progress on Day 1



I have started! The little stitch markers on the right signify the number of 'ridges'. The orange are for 25 ridges and the blue 50 ridges. I only need to have 4 more blue stitch markers and I will have completed the 'skirt' of the coat!

I did call the yarn shop in Halifax, LK Yarns, but they do not have any more of the colourway I need. It will be fine, as I decided to make the skirt shorter by 12 stitches. If I were to knit the entire coat and find I had a few skeins left, I could always pick up along the edge of the 'skirt', and knit down! It would probably be easiest to pick up half the edge and knit down and then pick up the other half. And if I were tricky and it worked, I could pick up again a few stitches over the additional skirt I had just completed and the other half of the stitches and I would have a pleat at the back of the 'skirt'. This may not be possible or necessary, but it is plan "B" and just maybe the coat will be the perfect length when it is completed!

I think a knitter, by experience, has to be optimistic, or we would never cast on for a new project! I am off to run the vacuum over the high traffic areas, read a bit for my book club (Middlesex) and then knit! It is mindless knitting, but I have been listening to podcasts, both of knitting and from radio shows of the CBC and BBC. I also have a book on the MP3 player by Tracy Chevalier and I enjoyed her book, "The Girl With The Pearl Earring", so I am looking forward to listening to "The Virgin Blue".

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Peg - nice progress on day one. Am I seeing things, or does the yarn have a little sheen to it? I really like it.

Still on for Wed Knitting Night? I have a finished Central Park to wear and everything!

11:09 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I shall take a look around in my local Walmart to see if I can find any for you. I don't think Katrina has a dye lot since it's a synthetic yarn.

I have two bags of it in white. Perhaps you'd like to make a two color coat?

11:26 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

This is looking like pretty speedy work already, Peg. (I enjoyed The Virgin Blue).

2:37 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

I love your solution to the yarn issue - I tend to always think so "in the box". You know, I don't have enough yarn, I can't make this pattern after all. :0)

4:02 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

if there is anywhere you'd like me to check here for the yarn just let me know peg!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Martina said...

Great problem solving! You are just speeding along!

4:49 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Really nice progress for one day, and I think a shorter jacket would be just fine.....but perhaps lauriem will find some for you?

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting