Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I know, this is really sick!!

I was in my LYS yesterday, just going by, and what is a girl to do - drop in and see what is new and what is on sale!! Well, this Sirdar Chunky wool and acrylic was on for $3.00 a ball. I looked at it and thought about that holiday at the end of December - you know the one with gift giving! I bought enough to knit four of the Elizabeth Zimmerman Rib Warmer Vests! That means that I got four vest for under $76.00 - do have to pay the tax man some! I have two GDs (age 17 & 14) and a DD and DIL, so guess what they are going to get? I have had so much fun wearing the rib warmer and so many compliments that I thought I just could not go wrong with knitting it for my girls! Also, it is easily washed, even in the washing machine, and my DD is not great in the laundry room so at least this yarn will work for her and the GDs.

I even ordered EZ's Workshop book which has the pattern in it, plus one for a friend! I am beginning to realize that I do have a thing for simple patterns and that is probably why I have such a liking for any design by Elizabeth Zimmerman or Sally Melville.

I will not cast on for the vests until the Cul de Sac or Berroco sweater are off the needles! I am voting for the Sea Foam Berroco Ultra Silk to be off the needles first. I have a friend who needs help casting on for scarves, and she is determined to knit Cul de Sac. I think once she truly sees the charts and reads the pattern, she might try a Rib Warmer instead. I have knit for a long time, and for the Cul de Sac, I had to get help on hiding the wrap on the short rows!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Oooh - great deal!

You have been knitting up a storm lately. I picked up some of the Nautical Cotton in Black the other day to make the same Green Gable pattern as you just finished (looks great PS).

Having a block on what to work on next! Yikes. Better stay out of that place. Too many sales!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Hello. I came across your blog earlier today and spent time reading some of your past posts. I ran out of time so here I am back to leave a comment. Your knitting is beautiful. I pretty much stick to simple patterns when I knit and I take forever to finish a project. However I enjoy every sticth no matter how long it takes me to finish. I'm glad I found your blog and I shall return.

5:33 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

You know what you like! Nothing wrong with that.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Those colours are PRETTY!
I've been seeing a few of the ribwarmer vests popping up, but I do believe the one you made was the first and I'm completely charmed.
and inspired.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

I think it's great to be organised and to plan ahead - so much less stress come December! I've ordered the Ribwarmer pattern and can't wait to start on it as soon as it arrives.

6:35 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

lol I have to laugh every time you buy yarn, coming from the lady that said she would not buy yarn for a whole year!!!! lol
And why does my yarn store NEVER have a sale???

2:20 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi Peg...love those EZ Rib Warmers! After seeing yours I decided to visit the Schoolhouse Press website to buy the pattern. Problem is...there are 2 different patterns, the original and the updated. Do you know which you knit? Also, did you modify the neckline? Yours looks so much nicer at the neckline than others I've seen. The pattern is only 1 dollar but the shipping is 4.75! isn't that crazy for one sheet of paper? Needless to say I didn't buy it. I'll get the book from the library. Keep those needles clicking!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting