Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, March 16, 2007

Gardening - one of my passions!

I have been busy in my garden - one night after five hours of gardening I was too tired to even pick up the needles!

My question to anyone who cares is - why does my mind seem so much younger than my back? I get outside and the sun warms me and the birds sing to me and the garden feeds my soul! I think I will work for an hour and then go in and knit! Well, when you are doing something you love, the time slips away and before you know it five hours have elapsed. Now I did have to come in to use the washroom, but my DH made me tea and lunch, so I sat outside in the sun and enjoyed the love!

I will post a few spring things for you and hopefully I will show some knitting in
the next few days. In our weather this morning (in our local paper) I saw clouds and raindrops for the next five days. Now that could be wrong - weather forecasting is better than it used to be, but when you live on a coast the ocean can really change the weather in a hurry!



My DH named this photo 'violets' but it is Primula Wanda and it is a great little plant - it comes back year after year, stays close to the ground, is not bothered by slugs, and is a real harbinger or spring!








The yellow Rhododendron is Haida Gold - the Haida are an Indian group on our West Coast. This Rhodo is scented - which is not so very often in the Rhodo world. It has that beautiful fresh scent of lemon and freshly cut cucumber. The shrub on the left is Fothergilla - it blooms in spring with a lovely white 'bottle brush' type of flower, but its true beauty is the colouring of the leaves in the fall - anywhere from gold to red and in between.

You can see the colour of my home in the background. Just now it is painted "California Rustic", but we are planning to paint it this year and want it to be a nice dark grey with charcoal trim and perhaps a very light grey just on the window area - our windows are wooden! We also plan to make a wider trim around the windows to take the charcoal colour. I hope to paint the front door a cranberry red! Our deck is cedar on the front, so we will leave it unpainted, as it has now reached that beautiful 'silver grey' that cedar gets and I do not fancy painting all those little spindles - which are mostly covered by shrubs!!

Oh yes, the Rhodo and Fothergilla are not in bloom just yet, but if the mild weather continues, perhaps by mid April! The bark mulch shown there was new when the photo was taken, and it is now more silver grey! Yesterday I raked all around these shrubs and many others. I try to leave the small leaves on the garden over winter. Many just decompose into the earth and I suppose some harbour 'bad' insects and slugs, but gardening is not for the faint of heart!

4 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Oh I do understand that going out for an hour or so and finding I've spent 5-6 with my back aching!
How wonderful of your DH to fix your tea and lunch!
The Primula are beautiful, love them. I'll have to keep my eye out for the Haida Gold, it's beautiful but having a lemony-cucumber scent as well? Heavenly.
Thanks so much for sharing, Peg, I've really enjoyed it!

12:14 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Wow, I can tell you are really excited by all the exclamation points in your post. :-) The snow has finally melted here in Southern Ontario, but the ground is really mushy so no gardening for me yet. I have started making plans though. I've bought a new light for the front door and some black spray paint to freshen the mail box and house numbers. I guess I'm starting where I can.

3:13 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

are you seriously in your garden???
We have snow and are getting another blast as I type.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh I am so very jealous- we had another snow storm last night! (Although I did see a big fat robin in the backyard this afternoon)

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting