Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, June 18, 2007

Peg and Bette on their first outing!
I am pleased with Bette and I know we will go to lots of things together. I do not intend to use that particular shawl pin as a closing device, but it works for the photo op!!

I was not looking forward to the sleeves with all the 'baby cables' but they went very well and do make for a nice fitted sleeve! I am also pleased with the change I made in the directional cables on the borders! All in all, I love the yarn, the pattern and the finished sweater. I used 10 balls of Rowan Cotton Glace and it took me about two weeks to knit the sweater. I spent $73.00 on yarn and I plan on a beautiful antiqued silver button that will bring the cost of the sweater to close to $85.00! What would you charge if someone wanted you to knit one? Probably very few people would pay you the price you would need to even make $5.00 an hour!~ Bette is not for sale, because to me she is priceless!
This little shell is called Audrey and she is in the same Elsebeth Lavold pattern book as Bette. I am now knitting her to go with Bette, but I am doing the three inches of baby cable on the bottom of the front and back and changing the interrupted ribbing up the front and back of Audrey to the 'baby cable' pattern. I will knit the body the same length as Bette. I will keep the cascading leaves about the armholes, as I really like it and I think it will add something to the sweater! If I have enough yarn, and I probably will, I might also make a short sleeve for Audrey. She is shown with detachable sleeves - sort of 'arm warmers', but they would look good on a younger body than mine.

I have never had a really nice sweater set, but I think I will enjoy this set and it will be going to lots of nice gatherings! As it is a matte cotton, I have no qualms about wearing it in all four seasons - I love to get as much mileage out of something like this as I possibly can.

Have you gone to the latest Knitty patterns? I received an email to state that new patterns had been posted and I took a look. Many appeal to me, but I fell in love with Tangerine Twist
I do not plan to knit it in a tangerine colour, but I have about ten balls of the same Grignasco Merinogold that I knit my granddaughter's shrug from and I would like to make Tangerine Twist and knit it with long sleeves! Seems I am on a roll with changing patterns to my liking. That is why we all knit! I would never have had the confidence early in my knitting life to change anything on a written pattern, other than perhaps the length of something, but now I feel confident enough to make changes where I know they will give me the finished garment I want.

Thanks for the compliments on my blocking board. As a few people said, sometimes the simpler the better! It works for me! Also, I got a very nice note from my granddaughter to say that she loves the shrug and it fits - a little loosely, but that is okay! She is becoming a knitter and she seems to appreciate the finishing details on her shrug. That makes Nana happy!

18 Comments:

Blogger Martina said...

OMG! That is stunning! It would not have looked right with out the changes! Which number book is it from. SO far I love most of Elsbeth Lavold patterns.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Gorgeous sweater, and you knit it so quickly too!

I'll look forward to seeing you knit Tangerine Twist, that pattern caught my eye as well.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Peg, you have every reason to be delighted with Bette because it looks beautiful on you and the details you altered are perfect!

12:01 PM  
Blogger KimK said...

Beautiful! The opposing cables on the lapels were a great choice.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Bette and Peg make a very stunning couple! She's beautiful, Peg.

3:23 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Bette is a lovely sweater. It fits you perfectly, the color is great on you and the design is something original. You should be proud!

I don't like it though. Not that it matters, really. I was just trying to figure out why. I think it is simply a matter of taste.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Oh, how very beautiful, and you look beautiful in it! I actually kinda like that shawl pin on it.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Ok Peg, how did you ever get that done in two weeks? What a great job! I love the design and the color. Tangerine is lovely too. I am looking forward to seeing how you do the sleeves. I have a vest pattern I would like to add sleeves to and I am not sure how to do it. Do you have a design book? Or do you just figure it out yourself?

5:27 PM  
Blogger margene said...

Bette is fabulous! You and she look great together.

5:47 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

Peg its BEEEEAUTIFUL! The colour is perfect on you. Well worth the money it took I say!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

You and Bette look great together. Well done! And in only 2 weeks?! I can't wait to see that button.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Beautiful work, and it looks great on you. I hope the shell to go with it works out just as wonderfully.

5:13 AM  
Blogger gail said...

Bette is a fabulous addition to your sweater family. Your change to the direction of the cables was absolutely correct. And, with the shell, you will have a stunning twin set!!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Bette is lovely, especially in the gorgeous blue. Your twinset will be splendid. Tangerine was one I printed out right away, but since I'm such a novice knitter...

5:09 AM  
Blogger Fun Knits said...

That sweater is wonderful and looks so good on you. Love it.
Shelley

8:13 AM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

Bette is FANTASTIC, Peg, and that shell will be perfect.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Great work, Peg, and you know, I'm slowly getting round to that realisation too - that we can adapt and create and make our own knits as we go along, and that's marvellous!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

What a gorgeous sweater in so many ways: your knitting, the design, and that color on you. Very nice job. Interesting shape and cables on the front. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it before. It was worth every penny. Of course we all know you just couldn't charge enough to make something like that for someone else.
Loved your blocking board, too. Convenient, those 1 inch squares! Hey, wait. Don't you use centimeters? ;)

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting