Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Another FO - so let's go out to the theatre!

This is a sweater I had downloaded the pattern for way back in early May. It is a pattern from Garnstudio knitted with Muskat - 100% Egyptian merserized cotton in a beautiful jade colour. The sweater is deeper in colour than it shows in the picture. I thought I was smiling more than this photo shows, as I am so very pleased with this sweater. I'll have to make sure the photographer makes me smile more for photos! I think it is perfect with the 'little black dress'. You know, the type of dress that takes you anywhere. I was off to see 'Cabaret' at our local theatre - it was wonderful and so nice to hear the music again!

It was a relatively easy knit, but the symbols are Scandinavian and a bit different, and also sometimes when a pattern is translated, you feel there are some things missing between the lines. I like the fit, the colour, the feel of the yarn and my knitting. All in all, a perfect FO!
You can really see the pattern on the back! Perhaps I should have pinned down and then soaked those little points a bit more, but never mind, I am still thrilled. I am always amazed at my 'swimmer's shoulders' when I see a back view. A small problem, really!

Now, what to cast on next. I have had some 100% Turino silk from Plymouth yarns and I had planned to knit a sweater. Once I read the book, 'No Sheep For You' I realized that this silk would not be the best choice for a sweater. It might grow on me, and I definitely did not want that to happen! So, as the yarn languished in the stash, I thought of what would be the best use of it! I had ordered Cheryl Oberle's "Folk Shawls" and when I saw the Prairie Shawl, I knew the mix of pattern and yarn would be perfect. I have lived on the prairies of Canada and know that a mohair shawl in winter would not be a great match, especially if you lived long ago in a sod hut! I like the earthy feel and look of the yarn and the pattern is reversible. Lots of garter stitch, but if you have been reading my blog for long, you know I love garter stitch!

I have 12 balls of this light grey, so there is no fear of me running out. Now, I also have two balls of medium grey, two of a dark grey and one of a lovely jade! I am wondering about trying it double for a Rib Warmer Vest! I'll see how much is left over from this shawl. I am not that thrilled with the work at the start, but I plan to put a good bit of blocking there and perhaps a tassle!


Oh yes, I love Cheryl Oberle's books, and I also have her 'Folk Vests' and cast on for the Irish XO vest with a Bainin I got from Jo of Celtic Memory Yarns!

13 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

A beautiful job Peg! Your shoulders carry it proudly. It looks really nice on you and I can see you getting a lot of wear out of it.

You sure snuck that one up on us. :-)

3:21 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

You look great, Peg! I love this colour on you, and the sweater is beautiful!

I can't remember if I've written to you already, but we're going to be down on the Island in a week or so - would you like to meet up at your LYS? My email is stuart434ATshawDOTca if you'd like to drop me a line! :0)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, what a gorgeous sweater and so beautiful on you! Great colour!

Oh, Peg, lucky Peg, getting the opportunity to meet up with Charity!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Beautiful sweater! It looks great on you!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

You're a such a good advertisement of how good swimming is for you. You always look so nice in the sweaters you knit. I'm definitely puuting this one on my "wish" list.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

That lacy jacket is beautiful, Peg, and ideal for theatregoing! And you've reminded me to go back to Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls, since I love that Prairie design too. Isn't it great with fall coming on and all these exciting projects to start?

2:51 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Oh gosh, I hadn't seen Charity's comment before I posted! Charity, how dare you be down there when I'm not? I wanna go over see you TOO! I wanna be there when you and Peg meet up! Wa-a-a-hh!

2:52 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

I have nearly finished this shawl & I am really pleased with it, however I did the lace in stocking stitch as I am not such a huge garter stitch fan, although your wip looks really good. We should both have good snug winter shawls, although had mine been finished I might have worn it last week! The sweater is very elegant! Love the colour (or your description of it!).

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

peg - I am amazed at the amount of projects you can finish in record time. You are a very accomplished knitter and everything looks so great on you.

9:26 AM  
Blogger KimK said...

Beautiful, beautiful work!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

What a lovely sweater! The color is gorgeous and looks smashing with your little black dress and silver hair! Beautiful, Peg!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Thank-you for the comment. I love the sweater! It really suits you.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

That colour on your sweater is gorgeous!! As is the sweater, of course, but the colour really makes it pop with your complexion.
I saw Cabaret up here in the River city -- loved it.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting