Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Three FO's in a morning!
Remember the little boleros and hats I made for the girl and boy twins? Well we have been invited to a shower for them tomorrow, so I already had the yellow Baby Surprise Jacket finished and the yarn for the green sweater. I got busy this week and finished the little green sweater. I had picked 'orange' flower buttons for the yellow sweater, but I though if it fit the little boy then the simple little round buttons would be better. I used a 3.75 mm needle for the green sweater, so it is smaller than the yellow that was knit on a 5 mm needle. The yarn is Basics by Lana Grossa and contains 50% viscose and 50% acrylic. It is machine washable - who would have time to hand wash many things when caring for twins?

I am sure some of you already do this, but I use embroidery floss to sew on buttons. You can use as many strands as you wish, depending on the size of the button, and since the floss comes in so many colours, you are sure to find a colour that matches your yarn! I used to be a cross stitcher and have boxes of the different colours - all neat and tidy, I must admit. I used three strands to sew on these little buttons. I know that both sweaters are buttoned from the left to the right, but I was thinking more of the buttoners - both Mom and Dad are right handed!!

Then I got busy and put some buttons on this milk-chocolate brown Rib Warmer Vest. It appears more grey in the photo, but I assure you it is the colour of milk chocolate. I got three nice bone buttons and made some cord and left long ends! I am not sure but what the vest might not be a bit large for the wearer, so I thought the buttons and ties would keep it from 'flapping in the breeze'. There are knots hidden by the buttons. I had thought of having to tie the cord after securing it around the button, but this might be a problem, as the intended wearer will be working with young children and will want to get it on and off quickly. Sometimes when we make things that don't turn out quite the size we wanted, we can find various ways to make them be the size we want.




Knitters and bloggers are just the best. Thank you very much to all who gave me some sources of the Lang Jawoll yarn. I am now in the process of exchanging some yarn for the same colour Jawoll - different dye lot, but I am not concerned about that. I have some sock yarn that she may be interested in, so we will make a swap!! Then I will have a fourth FO!

6 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Oh I am glad to hear that you found some Jawoll in the right colour, although I thought your idea of using the matching reinforcing yarn as a substitute was pretty clever, as are the buttons and ties on that rib warmer. Very smart.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Peg, you have been busy haven't you! Those FOs look absolutely beautiful. I have some new baby friends due any week now and you've inspired me to get on with it and start making their welcome jackets!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Frieda said...

Beautiful knits all of them ! Nifty idea for the closures on the rib warmer vest. Glad you were able to find the yarn you needed .I have to sat that you're one very productive knitter . I always look forward to reading you're blog.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Very nice knits, Peg. I'm very glad to hear you have found some yarn -- I'm really looking forward to seeing the Pi Shawl!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Those baby jackets are lovely, and as for the buttons on the ribwarmer - so stylish. You are a marvel, Peg!

3:39 AM  
Blogger gail said...

Your hands and needles hae been very busy! I hope that your shawl was satisfactorily finished. It is very, very beautiful. And, the rib warmer and BSJ's are great!!! You should attend Meg Swansen's Knitting camp. You would love seeing the original items and sharing your EZ items.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting