Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, August 03, 2007

This is in place of a hug!
If I were near my niece, I would give her a big hug, but I am on the other coast from her so this will take its place. This is the Comfort Shawlette from Daily Knitting. I had some Berroco Ultra Silk left over from a project and this was perfect, I think. It feels so soft and I love the colour. I had just got home from the pool, so excuse the outfit!!

You can see on my right shoulder area where I misaligned the yo's - about four inches up from the bottom. Is this what makes something look like it was lovingly knitted by hand? I did not notice it until I was casting off and I had no intention of frogging it back. It will get a little steam this morning and then go off in the mail!

That is Bertha and Beulah in the wall mat behind me. Perhaps my niece gets these terrible women and their nagging voices in the night like I did! If so, give them their walking papers. Why can things be so troublesome in the dark, when you are completely alone with your thoughts, but so much more bearable when the light of day arrives and you have others about?

I will knit this pattern again. The cast on for the neck area was a bit tricky, but once I got that worked out, it went along well! It would make a great gift, as size does not matter, and I would not be overly concerned about gauge!

11 Comments:

Blogger Iris said...

Beautiful shawlette. What a lovely gift! I never would have noticed the misaligned yarn overs and I bet she never will either.
It looks a lot like the copper penny green color. I tried responding to your comment but hotmail bounced it back and then erased what I wrote, so here's my response.
I'm not sure about the copper content in Canadian pennies. In 1982 when the price of copper rose high enough to make the value of the copper in a penny greater than its' one cent value, they started making pennies here in zinc with a thin copper coating. I'd assume something similar happened in Canada.
In that jar I have two short lengths of copper pipe in a larger amount of the proportions of water and ammonia noted in the post. After the color develops in the jar, you immerse the fiber or yarn in the solution until the yarn takes the dye. I can't really remember how long this takes, somewhere between an hour and 24 hours, if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I've done this. The yarn comes out of the jar a brighter blue and then develops into the more sagey greenish blue shade.
The boys and I will be out in your "neighborhood" sometime in the next few weeks, meeting my parents in Pender Harbor to go sailing with them. Unfortunately, we'll probably miss the Fiber Arts Festival in Gibson's Landing by a day or two on either end while we're out on the water. Oh well. You can't do everything, can you?

10:09 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a great Shawl. It really looks like it stays on really well. I am sure she is going to love it!

Very pretty colour too!

Just picked up a birthday present at Uptown and a new knitting book from Cumberland.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Beautifully done, Peg, what an amazing gift for your niece! I love it. :0)

I also enjoyed reading knittingiris' comment, as I read her post, and wondered about Canadian pennies, too.

3:31 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

lovely shawl i'm sure your niece will love it!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, the petit shawl is a Beauty and such a lovely gift for your niece, love the 'hug'.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Oh Peg, that's lovely.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

This is really pretty Peg - can see those needles have been clicking constantly while I've been away!
Am doing a little giveaway to celebrate my 100th post - stop by and toss your name in the hat.
Mary - ACROSS THE POND

9:19 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Could you tell some more about "Bertha and Beulah?" And what is the saying? I love the shawl.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Martina said...

The shawl is loverly! I didn't notice the error until you mentioned it!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

Where could I find the pattern for the yellow and green baby jackets? Love them!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Just followed your trail back from your comment on Cate of the no-sheep's blog. That is a lovely little shawlette. I've seen the pattern, but didn't find it as appealing in the photos there as it is in your photos. It's very sweet.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting