Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, July 16, 2007

Summertime and the living is easy!

This is my Pi Shawl in progress. Down in the left corner of the picture, you can see the border I am knitting - it is from the Spanish Christening Shawl from Cheryl Oberle's book, 'Folk Shawls'. The white you see amongst the stitches is the piece of cotton yarn that holds the 576 stitches that will be picked up as I do the edging. I got the idea from Kelly Petkun, who is the gal that came up with the idea of knitting each month's project from Elizabeth Zimmermann's 'Knitter's Almanac'. It must have been cooler where Elizabeth was living in July, as there were a few days last week when this project was entirely too warm to be knitting on it!

I am using 3.75 mm needles and Jawoll Superwash sock yarn to knit the shawl. So far, I am on the 5th ball and I will definitely need the 6th ball to complete the project. I knit the circular part on a 3.75 mm circular needle, but for the 20 - 24 stitches (they vary with each row), I decided that two dpns were better! I have enjoyed this project, and have sort of put other things aside to finish it before the end of the month. There are two projects so far in the 'Knitter's Almanac' that I won't do, but will substitute another EZ pattern. I do not need anymore Christmas ornaments, although I might try the star and the tree, and I certainly have no need to knit myself wool leggings. I think EZ would not think it wise to knit things you had no use for, nor did you have anyone that you wanted to gift them too - just my thought! Instead, I will knit another Baby Surprise Jacket, another simple baby sweater by EZ and probably another Rib Warmer Vest! I think Elizabeth would give me approval on this plan!

Before I go any further, I must say a big Thank You to all who commented and wished me a Happy Birthday. Much appreciated, much celebrated and much enjoyed. I will try to write to all of you, but in case I don't get to everyone, thank you! We really should celebrate all occasions, life is short and should be sweet!
Above is my salad garden. We have such a problem here with slugs and earwigs that I try to keep things off the ground where possible. The 'table' they are sitting on is made from old fence boards on top of an old Singer sewing machine treadle base! In fact, once I post this note, I will go out and pick some lettuce for a salad for dinner!

The salad above is made from basil from the garden, tomatoes (both fresh and sundried), my own freshly made Mozzarella cheese, pine nuts, etc. It is perfect on a summer day with crusty rolls.

This is a tray of Mozzarella Cheese with fresh fruit. The little mouse sitting on the cheese is a pewter mouse I brought back from my holidays! The cheese looks like he might have taken a huge bite out of it, but I made it into balls and put them in a circle with one in the middle in a casserole, so that is the shape they took on! It was eaten with the Chocolate Bread below and a glass of wine. The bread was made in a local bakery and had a bitter chocolate flavour with chunks of chocolate and dried apricots through the slices. It is delicious!! The bakery has a huge brick oven that she gets up to 700 degrees and then puts in the breads. They are wonderful!

You can see I am not a food stylist, as they would never leave crumbs on the cheap vinyl cutting board! This bread will also be great toasted with cream cheese spread on it!
Lastly, this is a trug that my DH made for me, and yesterday I picked my lavender and got 15 bunches to dry. They are hanging in the shade of the shed, which I go to often, as it smells heavenly! There are several lavender farms here on the Island, but I am no competition for them. Oh yes, the deer do not eat lavender!! They do eat phlox and sunflowers - I went out last week and the phlox were just about to bloom, but the little 'dears' had nipped all the buds off. They do it neatly, but I was not amused!

10 Comments:

Blogger SueJ said...

Lovely pictures! The warmth shines out of them! It is as wet here as I remember Tofino on my one visit to Vancouver island (and that was WET)! The Knitter's Almanac knit that I shy away from involves knitting & scissors! I don't think I could bring myself to do it!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

What a lovely post, the salad greens are yummy looking as is the dinner salad and plate of fruit and cheese and I nearly swooned over your description of that bread!
Great trug and beautiful lavender!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Faren said...

I love all of your pictures! You might not be a food stylist, but all the pictures still look pretty, specially all that lavender!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Everything looks so wonderful! The lavender especially is lovely, mine survives up here, but isn't as happy as it could be. I don't get much in the way of blooms, but the ones I do are so much more precious. :0)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hee hee. Your mention of deer eating phlox reminds me of family friends who are farmers in Newfoundland. They have big problems with moose. Last summer they went to harvest a patch of brussels sprouts and found only the stalks, standing like a field of posts. The moose had delicately pulled off each sprout - obviously thought he was at a salad bar!

Your photos are lovely Peg. I'm suddenly craving tomatoes and basil....

2:19 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

What delights you have here for us today, Peg: flowers, food, knitting!
I heard a tip about slugs the other day: put seaweed round your plants and the slugs will leave them alone as they can't bear the salt.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Happy birthday Pegg !
I was by my parents'home during these last days and can't read your blog !
I'am waiting for EZ's Almanac and I hope that, soon, I can begin my first EZ knitting !
I like to look at your beautiful home, garden and cooking !
AmitiƩs

8:49 AM  
Blogger Knitting Mother said...

I just found your blog today and I LOVE it. I also love that you live in Vancouver as that is on my wish list of places to visit. The salads look beautiful, and I love love love the lavender.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I'm late, I'm late, for that very important date!!! Sorry Peg, I was away for your B'day - returned tonight and am skimming through favorite blogs before unpacking! Hope your Birthday was fabulous and sending love and best wishes for many, many more.
Your swimming skills are awesome - I so admire you doing that distance each day. House looks lovely, enjoy every moment in your Summer garden.
More later. Mary.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

I love the trug. That is a new word for me. What a nice, nice thing for him to do.

Do you have dogs? How close to the house do those deer come?

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting