Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I am still here - just not much knitting to show!


This is our back patio with the newly painted house in the background! I usually sit at the patio table and listen to podcasts or audio books and knit. Today I took my Pi Shawl outside to knit, but the heat drove me inside. Now I know it is not that hot here, but we were looking for long sleeved turtlenecks to wear last week and this week we needed minimal clothing!

I would show you some knitting, but 576 stitches on a circular needle that will become a Pi Shawl that looks like a 'bag' is not pretty. It will be, but at the moment, it is not much to show! I did borrow Cheryl Oberle's book on Folk Shawls from the library, as Kelly Petkun
of Knit Picks, who has a most wonderful podcast that I have mentioned before, said that in looking through this book, she found the most beautiful knitted cast off in the Spanish Christening Shawl that would be great for the Pi Shawl. I like it and I am going to use that method. I have about 30 more rounds of 'gull stitch' to do on the Pi Shawl and then the adapted cast off! Once it is completed, I will show you and it may be a birthday gift! I will have used 5 balls of Jawoll sock yarn to make the shawl, so it gives me a new appreciation of sock weight yarns!

It is things like finding a way to make a beautiful finish to a piece of knitting that makes reading blogs so worthwhile. If you had looked at Rambling Rose in the Interweave Knits magazine of Summer 2007, you will be surprised when you go to Lisa's blog to see how it looks without the scallops. I like Lisa's version and I now like the sweater much better. I have learned about terrific books, yarns, gadgets and possibilities in knitting by simply checking out blogs. I have laughed, smiled, frowned and cried, but I always come away wiser. Sometimes I think I waste a lot of valuable knitting time by reading and posting on blogs, but this is my 'knitting group' and how will I know what everyone is up to, if I don't check in regularly? Knitters, readers and bloggers are just the best!
This is a view of the back again and you can see the wider trim in the charcoal grey (Evening Hush) that my DH put around the windows. He did most of the work and I was the helper. It is great to have this job finished. There is still some work to be done inside on the new windows, but we will take our time with this and not kill ourselves in the heat!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

The paint job looks terrific, Peg. Let's not belittle our heat here - it was 36C in my backyard today. That's hot anywhere!
I'm really looking forward to seeing your Pi Shawl.
I also agree about the information and community on the blogs. I have a number of times seen an item that I first thought was ok, and someone has made it great in a special way. Even seeing it on a real person, rather than a model, can sometimes change my mind.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Thank you for the link to Lisa's blog, I like her version more also.
Great pain job to you and your Mr. and your back patio looks to be a wonderful spot for knitting and relaxing, but ach, the heat, I'm with you, back indoors. You're lucky you get cooler nights!
Also looking forward to the Pi shawl!

3:37 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

of course...'paint' job...

3:37 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

The house looks great! It looks like how I imagine you-ladylike and welcoming, and the plantings give you that air of playfulness. I like it when houses match their owners. About that sweater- geesh- I hated it in the two colours in Interweave-but seeing it sans scallops has made me think about revisiting it! Thanks for sharing!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oooh - your backyard looks sooooo nice and cool! I am jealous. Ours is like the core of the sun.

Thanks for the mention - Rambling Rose is cruising along - mostly because it is cotton and not a GIANT WOOLEY thing on my already too hot lap.

Have a nice day :)

11:46 AM  
Blogger KimK said...

You're right, Peg -- this is my "knitting circle," too. My schedule is too weird to let me attend regular knitting group meetings, so this, for me, is the best way of sharing and learning.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Your house is looking great, Peg, and what a lovely place to sit when it's hot!

2:37 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

the house looks great Peg! Love the dark grey trimming it.
We have had nothing but rain rain, and more blinking rain!!! Will it ever stop????
Can't wait to see that shawl!

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

peg - I hope your birthday was a pleasant one - and that you enjoyed the rain with it's fancy bright wrapping and noisy delivery

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting