Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, August 17, 2007

A Good Source of Free Patterns!

I received a request on the last post for the pattern for the jade green lacy short sleeved sweater in a recent blog. The pattern came from Garnstudio, who is also the manufacturer of Muskat, the yarn I used. You go to www.garnstudio.com and then there are flags at the bottom of the first page. Choose your language of choice and the pattern for the sweater is in book 101 and is pattern #32. You just print off the pattern! As easy as that and you have a wonderful pattern.

The symbols on the charts are a bit different from what we are used to, but I enlarged the charts and then at the bottom hand printed out the symbols and the details. I do find it tricky to knit patterns that are translated, as sometimes the translation leaves me wondering if all the details are included. I like a few other styles from Garnstudio, so may give them a try in future.

I thought about a couple of the comments regarding perhaps spending too much time reading blogs. I think that Marsha is correct in her explanation of how this is how she learns new techniques, new patterns and, best of all, gains new friends.

Margene, who often comments on my blog, was one of the first blogs I ever read, and she is a very faithful blogger - I mean faithful to posting most every day. Her pictures are so beautiful and she does such lovely work. She also spins and I am enjoying her adventures with all the wonderful fleeces she acquires. She is also one of the most generous of bloggers and I would never have met her without blogs, so Marsha, you have convinced me to keep reading, posting and commenting. Bloggers love comments!

I have met so many bloggers, and I have also had the privilege of commenting to a wonderful gal, Jeannie, who is currently going through breast cancer! I have been there, so I know some of how she feels. Sometimes just a little comment about how you hope things are going well can help, or the little joke I told Jeannie the other day! Want to hear it! It is rated 'family'!

It seems that little Johnny and his Mom and Dad were at Grandma's house for dinner. Grandma puts the food in front of Johnny and he starts to eat immediately. Mom is taken aback and tells Johnny that we always pray before we eat. Johnny's comment was, "Mom we are eating Grandma's food, and she knows how to cook!"

Karen helped me with a much needed bit of yarn, others have links to blogs, shops and sources of knitting supplies that I would never have known about.

I have learned so much about books and You Tube from another Karen in Edinburgh. Jo in Ireland, who I had the privilege of meeting in the flesh and she is as delightful in person as she is on the blog, has sent me Bainin, from which I am knitting an Irish vest! I have met and enjoyed the company of bloggers in my area. Without the blogs, none of this would have happened, so I will be reading blogs - maybe I will cut back some, but darn I enjoy it!

8 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

Thank you Peg! Before you started to blog you would send me pictures of your lovely finished projects. I'm so happy you are here and that everyone can now see the beautiful work you do!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Shan said...

I love Garnstudio too. Their yarns are great.

As to the spiral scarves on riverstitch, they go like this:

CO 80
Row 1: purl
Row 2: knit f/b to end (160)
Row 3: purl
Row 4: knit

Repeat twice more (640 sts), then cast off on Row 4.

I used Bernat "Illusions" and "Boucle" on a 6mm needle, so only did three repeats and it took one half-day.

You can do this scarf on any weight yarn, just doubling the stitches as many times as necessary to make the scarf as wide as you like. For example, the book "Handknit Holiday" has this pattern in Rowan Kidsilk Haze. Instructions are to cast on 100 and double every 4 rows til you have 3200 stitches, then bind off. I think you'd be mad to undertake it but it does look awfully pretty.

11:08 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

I missed your Thursday post -Your finished Shawl is fantastic! I am so glad you were able to get that important last little bit of yarn that you needed!
Garnstudio is an interesting source of patterns. I have only used one, a curly whirly crocheted scarf, but the finished item is much admired (there are a lot of curls, I did get carried away, perhaps I will photograph it & pop it onto my blog).
I have subscribed to Interweave for the first time but I am waiting for it to find its way across the big water. I suspect that Mr J may fancy Brooklyntweeds sweater when he sees it!

2:08 AM  
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

The blogging friends I"ve met in person have become dear dear friends.

I like your blog because you swim and you're a survivor. I'm a lap swimmer too, and believe it or not, sometimes I think about you - a total stranger -- somewhere out there, making the effort to get to the pool too, as are billions of swimmers everywhere. : )

I also like to knit, though am not nearly as prolific, and have had melanoma.
Have a wonderful weekend.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Hi! I found you through river Stitch and read through all your posts, well, the last few weeks anyway! I love your Bertha and Beula(sp?) I have very negative voices in my head and I will try your trick to get rid of them.And I saw that Oprah sweater too and I though of EZ too! Love you blog, I will vist again!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Just today I had the nicest email from a lady who had discovered my blog and with whom I seem to share a taste in books, among other things. Without the blog we'd never have encountered one another, I imagine, and this holds good for many other dear people (none moreso than you Peg)whom I've come to know through reading blogs and then writing one. The benefits are enormous!

1:51 PM  
Blogger My Five Sons said...

Just stopping by to say your Pie shawl is gorgeous and you are an inspiration as usual!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Oh of course it takes up our time - far too much of our time (and when we all get our Ravelry invites, there goes any hope of the housekeeping, the cleaning, the ironing...) But would you be without it, knowing how much richer it has made us all? And how much smaller it has made this wide wonderful world?

No, I wouldn't either. You keep reading, Peg, and you keep blogging. Especially keep blogging!

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting