Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, August 13, 2007

Keep it! It will come back into fashion!


I was reading the paper this past weekend, and there was an article on the fact that 'silver' hair for women is back in fashion! I have been collecting this silver hair for just over 50 years, and I never thought it was 'in' or 'out' of fashion! Who knew? I have never had the desire to colour my hair and I note that a few visitors to my blog like the 'silver' hair. I love it and have no desire to change it, but it is nice to know I am now 'in fashion'!!

I have been busy with two projects. This is the XO Cardigan/Vest from Cheryl Oberle's Folk Vests. It is a vest design from Ireland, and the yarn is Bainin, which was sent to me by the dear Irish lass, Jo. You can see the X's and O's starting to form. I must admit that it is a knit that is a bit hard on my wrists, so I only knit about eight rows per day. The body is knit seamless, so eight rows is accomplishing something! I am finding the buttonholes a tad small, but worry that if I make them larger they will get baggy. Now that I think of it perhaps it would be better to start bigger, and if they enlarge too much - just take a quick stitch or two with a darning needle and yarn! I have only done one buttonhole so far, so rest assured the next ones will be larger! Isn't that why we knit - so that we can have garments just the way we want them?
The other project is Cheryl Oberle's Lacy Prairie Shawl. I must admit that the photo has it looking beige in colour, but it is actually a light grey!

Way back in the spring, Outi, of White Country and I traded seeds for pelargoniums, or most folk call them geraniums. These geraniums are the result of our trade. They are much more red than the photo shows, but I am so pleased with them. I hope Outi's geranium seeds worked for her too! This is another plus of blogging, I'd say!

6 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Very nice beginning on the vest, and I really love the colour that is showing on the monitor for the geraniums..kind of a warm coral/red.
I love your hair, I think it's beautiful. We have premature white on my mother's side..alas, my brother got that, I wasn't quite lucky enough...I have to wait.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

The vest looks great so far.
My mum is completely white-haired, has been for about 10 years, and I think it is beautiful. I am going shiny silver so far!
I had to laugh at the "in fashion" comment -- last year all the magazines were saying pale skin was in. I ran to my husband and said "look I'm in fashion!". I have naturally non-tanning skin, and most summers people tell me to get more sun, but last year was my year!!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Silver rocks! That's why I, too, have never colored my hair. I'm between 25-30% silver now and for the first time in my life get compliments on my hair color! Peg, yours is perfectly splendid and looks wonderful with the colors you choose to wear!. Rock on!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

I've never dyed mine either Peg. Got my first white hair at 26!

You won the drawing at my blog!!! I know you gave me your email address once, but I'll be darned if I can find where on my blog you wrote it.

11:06 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Peg, your silver hair is lovely. Mine is a secret known to me & my hairdresser!

4:19 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Seed trading is so great. Whenever I visit my mother, I wonder around her garden collecting seeds and clippings.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting