Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Happy Canada Day - Our 140th birthday!

I have mentioned, I think on this blog, about how much I admire Elizabeth Zimmermann. This is her Baby Surprise Jacket and I was skeptical during the knit, but after a bit, I could see just what was happening! How did this woman's mind work? I have also said that if I were having a dinner party and could invite people alive or dead that I would invite Elizabeth. I am sure she would be a witty and enjoyable dinner guest. I would ask her about how she came up with her wonderful patterns and what does she think of blogs, podcasts and all the renewed interest in her gifts to the knitting world. Would you like to join us!

Above looks like a 'marigold' blob, but below is the sweater folded. I have not blocked it and the buttons are just lying on the sweater. I was not sure about one part of the knitting - the part that after you m1 on either side of stitches 44 and 135 and then there is talk of 3 ribs. I am beginning to think the 3 ribs are the ones created when you are increasing and you do not need to knit 6 more rows to get a further 3 ribs. I knit the six more rows! However, I am happy with the sweater and think it is brilliant. This is not the last baby surprise sweater I will knit. I have not sewn on the buttons, as I will await the arrival of the baby and also get some turtles or something boy like! I found it interesting when a gal wrote in to a website and asked why Elizabeth put buttons on both sides. Young women probably know the sex of the baby they are awaiting, but way back in the 'good old days' you did not know until the baby was born. Also some folk are not aware that boys/men and girls/women actually button their shirts on different sizes. It is not important to me which side it buttons on, so long as it fits!!

I will say this about Elizabeth Zimmermann's patterns - they are short, to the point and you have to do some thinking for yourself. All that said, they are just the nicest patterns and get the most compliments of any patterns I have knitted!

I am following along on an Elizabeth Zimmermann KAL that uses her 'Knitter's Almanac' book. For the month of July, the project is a Pi Shawl, so I will post some pictures later on. It is knit on a circular needle, as was Elizabeth's favourite tool!

14 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Happy Canada Day, Peg!

The Pi shawl is on my must-knit list!! I saw it in a shawl book just recently and have been thinking about it ever since. I will be very interested to see yours.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I keep looking at these little jackets and thinking that I MUST make one. I am intrigued.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Happy Canada Day Peg!
Love the baby surprise, I hope to knit up that pattern some day myself.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have made many of those surprise sweaters but do some changes to the pattern (of course that is a knitters perogative). I usually add a hood, and then pick up inside the sleeves and add a cuff.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Happy Canada day to you Pegge !
I just stay two monthes in my all life -I'am 58- in Canada (1 in Québec and 1 in British Columbia) and enjoy very much these two stays : beautiful country and friendly people !
Amitiés.

11:32 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

You've been listening to the KnitPicks podcast! ;-)

I love that sunny little jacket. Very sweet.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Seriously 3 balls of light sock weight for the Pi? Man, I've got to get started (after I finish two other big projects, both are over half way).

11:40 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Hi Peg,

I couldn't figure out how to reach you directly via e-mail so I'll just answer your question here.

I am using Knit Picks Shadow in Campfire for my Pi Shawl. I am very happy with it so far. I have always loved heathers!!

Yours in knitting,
Kelley

8:10 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Peg, I caved and ordered "Knitters' Almanac". You are a first-class enabler, my dear!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

I'd come to a dinner party with Elizabeth Zimmermann and you, Peg, any day!
What is it about her garments? Simple, ingenious, striking - those I've seen, anyway, - but all clever.
Happy Canada Day!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

i love to knit this sweater for new little ones.

5:26 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Cute jacket! I just frogged one that I started in a self stripe yarn. It was too busy with all the colour & the garter bumps, but in a plain yarn it looks wonderful. My friend is expecting a baby at the end of August so I have plenty of time for another go. I did the February jacket from Knitters Almenac instead which was great.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Capucine said...

hello...I like a lot your sweat baby surprise sweater.. is it difficult to try to knitt it???, I find the pattern on Internet but i don't understand all ??? can I writte it my self like you.. is it difficult ???? excuse my bad english.. I am french...tell me when you invite Elizatebh to dinner!!!!bye
http://perso.bellapix.com/myriam13

11:51 AM  
Blogger Capucine said...

I am not sure that my blog adress is right ???? bye

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting