Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, July 14, 2006

Now I am 66!

Yesterday, I celebrated my 66th birthday!

How did I get to be 66? I used to think when I was small that anyone in their 20s was old. Now I think anyone who is 20 years older than I am is old - but I want to grow to old!

If you ever have a life threatening illness or event in your life, I think you look at life and aging in a very different way. Ten years ago this October, I found a lump in my breast and to make a long story short, I was diagnosed with a breast cancer that occurs 1.25 times in every 250,000 breast cancer occurrences. However, the good thing is that with surgery you have about a 90% chance of survival.

At first, I thought if only I could live until Christmas, then it was until summer to see my son race his second Canadian Ironman. By the time late spring/early summer came, I was starting to see clearer and I thought well, if I am going to live, I want to live well. Now I had a plan - eat well, exercise, stay away from negative people and get on with the job of living! Sounds easy when I write it and look at it, but it has had its moments. I now stay away from negative people and am thankful for every day I have to enjoy!

This was not meant to be a post about sad, but one about happiness. I also decided that if I were to live five years, that I would really start to take exercise more seriously. How many prayers are made to a higher power in the delivery room, emergency room and in the middle of the night? I got serious, because I knew that I would be wanting more favours! I started swimming again 4.5 years ago, and last year on my 65th birthday, I swam 3 miles non-stop. Now I have met that goal, so I am swimming 80 lengths in a 25 metre pool three times a week. 80 lengths = 1.25 miles.

I think we all need to life our lives to the fullest; challenge ourselves from time to time - even knitting projects that we think are difficult - the feeling of satisfaction is so good for our soul. Never say never, say probably!

I will end this disortation by saying - Never say - "I hate growing OLD!" - the alternative SUCKS!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Happy Birthday- and many pleasant returns of the day-

3:44 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Happy Belated Birthday Peg! I like your philosohy about getting older.

Brenda
http://brenda.typepad.com/

5:24 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Well Happy Birthday to you and keep on with those positive vibes. No time for negative people/things around me either. Sante!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

You know what they say "you are as young as you feel" so I hope you feel 20..maybe 30 even .Anyhow "Many Happy Returns"

11:00 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad to hear you're making great progress with your goals. Have a beautiful weekend.

11:32 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

Happy Belated birthday Peg! you kept that one quiet :)
I'm totally with you on your post :)

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting