Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Shrugs as Gifts!

Here is a picture of my current shrug. It is for my DIL as a thank you for sending me a beautiful blue quilt and shams and some Burt's Bees Shea Butter Hand Repair and not taking any money - I had asked her to watch for a summer weight quilt, but I was more than ready to send money. She is so kind and thoughtful, but I want to say thanks. I hope she likes the shrug, and as she is currently living near Oklahoma City, it is being knit from Brilla - 58% rayon and 42% cotton. It has a bit of a sheen and knits up nicely on 4mm bamboo circular!

The beauty of knitting shawls, shrugs and scarves is that size is not a problem, as well, there is no need (at least by me) for gauge! I think I like the shrug when it is a 'slippery' yarn, as it might stay on the shoulders better. I would like to find a good source for shawl pins - any suggestions would be appreciated!!



When in my LYS the other day, I found this ball of Rowan cotton/wool in the $2.00 basket. Just had to have it come home with me. It will make up a hat with a bit of something else if necessary. This sells here for $11.95, so a savings of $9.95 was not to be passed up by me.



I mentioned to Jo of Celtic Memory Yarns that I was not crazy about the Addi Turbos I had. They are 5mm and I find the actual needle part is too short; they are too blunt and too slippery for most yarns I knit! I do like wooden and bamboo needles, but want to try Lantern Moon and Rosewood needles. Can a knitter ever have too many needles?

I went to our new LYS yesterday. Many of the same yarns as my favourite other LYS, but somehow I almost felt guilty being in that shop. I have come to really love the girls who work in my favourite LYS and felt a bit of a traitor. I did not buy anything, but probably will try to support the new shop.

I get such good service from the LYS I regularly shop in and I find from reading other blogs that this is not the case in other shops. The gals in my shop are friendly, helpful and make great suggestions. They all are terrific knitters and there are always lots of samples to entice me - such as the shrug I am knitting! When I find good service in any store, I try to patronize that store and I also tell them I appreciate their service. Unfortunately, I do not tell the stores that give poor service what I think, I just don't go back. That is not always helpful to the shop owner, as how can they correct things that are not perceived by the public as great when we do not tell them.

Carrying a bit of guilt with me, I did go to my favourite LYS and bought two balls of yarn I had ordered to match two balls I had to make leg warmers! I also purchased an Elsebeth Lavold book. It is book number four and it was 50% off. I love her patterns, and want to make the cardigan on the front of the book! It will have to take its place in line well behind the Christmas knitting, but I at least have the book!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

New LYS???????

Brenda
http://brenda.typepad.com/

6:34 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

That Rowan wool cotton is soooo yummy. I have 19 balls in my stash- waiting for inspiration (or to narrow down all the choices). I just made the shrug from "peony Knits" out of Rowan Polar. Very cool!

7:03 AM  
Blogger gail said...

I, also, cannot pass up good deals, even when there is only one ball. I am on the board of our local Knitter's Guild and we just decided on the "theme" for our annual brown bag exchange. Each year, members can bring a bag with yarn in it to exchange randomly with others. Several months later, the bag is returned with the completed item in it. This year the theme is "one skein creation." I've been trying to think of what I would do with that one skein of beautiful light blue cotton/wool.....

9:22 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Beautiful shrug! How nice to have a nice, thoughtful DIL, so often I hear other kinds of stories :0)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I just can't resist the bargain basket either! I have a real problem in shops that are entirely bargain stock - have to be winched out at closing time. Love the shrug.
Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

12:24 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhh the shrug is going to be grrrrreat! TWO DOLLARS FOR ROWAN???? HOLY MOLY!!! Thats the deal to end all deals :)

2:59 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

There's no such thing as too many needles...or too much yarn ;)

The shrug looks lovely.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting