Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, August 11, 2006

Knitting Has Started Up!



I made a little trip to my LYS yesterday and now I am back in business! I started a pair of leg warmers from the "Oneskein" book by Leigh Radford. However, using 50g skeins, I need two skeins and I chose a beautiful lime green for one of my granddaughters. The yarn is SMART from Norway and it is a superwash wool. No need to knit anything that needs special care for a teenager. I love the way the yarn is knitting up and I think I will head over today to the LYS again and get some to make a sweater for myself. I also plan to make each of my granddaughters a pair of "Fetching" fingerless gloves! The girls are 13 and 16 and currently live in Germany. They seem to be quite popular in books I see and they are not terribly long projects or overly expensive. I love to knit for them, but you just never know if it will be worn! The 16 year old had started to knit herself a pair of leg warmers while they were still here, so perhaps these will be a hit!

Do you remember how what was in and what was out in fashion was so important when you were a teenager? Now that I am 66, I like to look in fashion, but comfort plays a much bigger part in my choice of clothing! I have told my DD and DIL to tell me if I dress too young or old for my age. So far, they have been a big help and I apparently dress age appropriate! Seems I still must worry a bit about what is in and what is out of fashion for a 66 year old!



I have been thinking of "Cutaway" for some time, so let's see if the SMART will work. I will make the sleeves longer than is shown in the picture, but it is a pattern I have admired for some time. If not, there are other sweaters I would like!

I want to replace a red cardigan I wore out a few years ago! I loved that sweater to death! I even bought leather patches to cover the sleeve elbow holes and got a few more years out of it - even if it was only worn at home. It was a sweater that made me feel cosy and happy. I am not sure if it was the colour or the feel. It was a beautiful Scottish knit that I bought in a store in Charlottetown, PEI and then it moved with me to Toronto, Ontario, Comox, BC, Winnipeg, MB, Greenwood, NS and finally in Halifax, NS it went on to its great reward. Red has been my favourite colour since childhood, so I guess that says something. It has to be the real true red - nothing with lots of orange or blue in it!











There is my Clapotis. Shorter than I wanted, but finished!! I do love it though and have worn it twice already and compliments both times!! Nice to have your knitting noticed.



We have a new yarn store opened near here, so I will have to pay them a visit. I try to support them all, but also get a bit antsy if I get too many projects ahead. I did find a pattern at my LYS yesterday for a simple shrug that may be made up for my DD and DIL for Christmas. It uses 5 mm needles, 122 sts, a simple pattern of multiples of 4 + 2. You *k2, yo, yrn, p2*, repeat, and end the row with k2. You have a k2 garter stitch on the edge. You knit until it is approximately 28 inches long (or you run out of yarn a few inches short). Fold the CO edge in half and from the edge stitch in about 6.5" and do the same on the BO edge - these are little arm openings. The beauty of shawls for gifts is no need to worry over much about sizing. Just pick a nice colour you think the person will like and I do not do gauge for shawls, scarves or wraps!

I am now off to the LYS! How many of you head first to the bargain table? ME TOO!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rain said...

The clapotis is beautiful.

The legwarmers are a fab colour. I've jyust made Fetching and it's a great pattern and so quick to do. Your granddaughters will love them.

4:04 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhh ohhh love that clapotis!
Legwarmers are definatley on my list of winter knits this year, I loooove the green your using!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I love your clapotis! It's really lovely :0)

I'm sure the girls will love the fingerless gloves and legwarmers - they seem to be really popular again right now. I'm making a pair of legwarmers for my dh's granddaughter for Christmas.

This SMART yarn sounds wonderful! Where did you find it?

8:55 AM  
Blogger Sidsel said...

Hello..Just found your blog.Your Clapotis is lovely,really nice color.Find it nice to read in here,and think I'll be back :o)
Good luck
Regards Sidsel,Norway

http://blogg.hobbyboden.com/sidsel/

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting