Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Bath Day for Tilia!

Today is the day to block Tilia. I cannot say this is a favourite past time of mine or Tilia's, but it has to be done. I worry that it may be too long - the length of the sleeves and body, but I did not want to 'worry' the sweater too much and so I am keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that she will be beautiful. Guess that proves the point of why we sometimes do not even start a UFO project. The thought of all that knitting and then it does NOT fit is too much for some of us! Will she fit - she had better!!


Here is Tilia relaxing in a warm bath. Will she behave when she gets out of the bath, sure hope so! She looks much darker when she is wet, but I love her true colours and let's hope she is a nice cooperative Tilia!





Now she is relaxing

on her beach towels.



I tried to block her without too much stress. The sleeves are a bit longer than when knit, but I did not want to push and shove her too much. I need to stitch her up and then pick up the stitches around the neckline, purl a row for the hem turn down, knit 3 rows, increase a stitch every 8 stitches and knit 3 more rows and then cast off and sew the hem down carefully.

Will she disappoint me or will I be thrilled? I will let you know in the fullness of time.





I started a gauge swatch for another sweater! I must be taking this knitting seriously, as I never before knit gauge swatches. Lest you worry, I did knit a gauge swatch for Tilia!~! If Tilia behaves, she will go out this Saturday to an Italian fund raising dinner for my DH's Rotary club. If not, she will languish at home and miss all the fun!

10 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

So pretty! I can't wait to see the finished product....and I'm thinking good thoughts for her continued cooperative behavior!

5:18 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

BTW-Don't be afraid to boss your knitting! If the sleeves are too long, you could pull them wider.

6:18 AM  
Blogger gwtreece said...

Very pretty.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Pulling them wider is an option, but I have small wrists and I do not want her to be 'ballooning' out from my arm. I am still at the praying stage and on the river in Egypt!
I might just have to put her back into a bit of hot water when she is all assembled. I'll keep you all posted!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Tilia is looking brilliant, can hardly wait for her to get back from 'finishing school' and I have complete faith she'll be getting splendid marks.
While I was at your site, you were at mine, only I couldn't figure out how to leave a comment here, I've been here many many times and you have a beautiful blog.
I will sadly admit I didn't even know there was a marathon today, if I see your son, I will indeed pass your message along.
Thanks for stopping by, I like the name...Matrimonial Cake, in fact, I love it. The mincemeat sounds divine, will have to make some.
Do you know why it was named Matrimonial Cake?

8:08 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Very pretty. I am knitting Tilia in the orange right now. I shall watch the sleeves carefully.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Thanks for the info on the sleeve length. I am not tall so I'd better watch it. It sounds like this yarn really relaxes when you wash it! I can't wait to see yours sewn together and see how the neck works out. I'm a little worried it might be too large for me around the neck. Thanks for going first!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I do hope it all works out for you! Can't wait to see it all put together!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

So lovely, Peg! Can't wait to see you show her off! :0)

5:19 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Tilia looks gorgeous so far. I can't wait to see it finished.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting