Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Good Luck at the Sally Ann!

When I go to my library, I have to pass the Sally Ann (Salvation Army) Thrift Store and, if I have time, I usually pop in to see what is there - it changes daily! I was on the look out for a grapevine wreath, but today there was lots of yarn!!

How can I pass by bargains in yarn - even if I will probably give it away!

In these two balls, there are 2000 grams of mohair and acrylic. The colour is a fairly nice red, but I think I will probably give this to a friend for her church group to knit prayer shawls! It looks a bit 'squished' but it has been in a plastic bag for ??? long! I paid the princely sum of $6.58 for all of it - a nice cheery prayer shawl might just be the ticket for someone needing a bit of a boost!



I love the colour of this 'raspberry sherbet' mohair and wool, but I think it is a bit too 'hairy' for lace and so it will probably be another prayer shawl. I can just see some dear lady with snow white hair wrapped up in this beautiful colour, can't you? There are 275 gr and it cost $5.99! Again, I think the ladies at my friend's church will be pleased to knit a shawl from this yarn!




Now these two balls of pure unadultared Acrylic had to be bought!! You ask why, well they happened to be in with a large bag of LOPI - yes LOPI! The bag cost $7.98 and there are 5 full balls of Lopi, plus some already knit up - a couple of sleeves and the start of a back - I will frog that and wash and ball it. I want to knit some purses and bowls (from One Skein) for felting, and the oatmeal will blend with lots of other pure wool that I have in stock! Would they want a neon green for prayer shawls - probably not. It could make hats for charity, especially if toned down with some other colours!



I have seen on some blogs that people ask about answering comments. If I can find the person's blog or email, I try to thank them for coming by and also answering any questions. Christy, I tried to answer you, as we seem to have similar tastes, but I could not find your blog. I, like you, see some bloggers that have a taste much like my own, and I certainly do watch what they are knitting next. I am beginning to think from comments that I may be a faster knitter than I think, but also I am retired and have more time to knit than a young woman with a young family.

Today I have a very fond memory of knitting to share. Our son turned 45 today and when he was a little boy he was not really a cuddler - did not want to get up on your lap and be hugged - but he did want to be near you. He knew that when I knit I would sit still and he could snuggle in beside me. He would get so close that it was sometimes hard to move my arms to knit, but I loved the time I spent with him snuggled in beside me and his asking me about what I was making. Sometimes he would go and get my knitting for me, coming down the hallway, he would often have dropped a needle, stitches hanging loose, yarn dragging behind and with his dear little face looking at me and saying, "Knit Mom, knit!" I just melted. He is now 6'4" and his face can still make me melt. Happy Birthday, Son!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rain said...

Great bargains and such lovely colours too. It's so kind of you to think of others who could use it and get it for them.

I now have visions of you trying to knit with a 6'4" son on your lap. Happy Birthday to him.

3:06 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

awww how cute, the story about your son. Way to go on the Lopi, you could use the green for the Dulaan project, any child would love something to keep them warm that is so bright and cheerful.

3:54 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I loved the story of your son. My boys are now 10 and 12 and have both gone through stages of not wanting to be cuddled. Strange, but they are in a huggy stage at this point. I think they are anticipating having to give up hugs as they become teenagers.

I don't think the green acrylic would be good for Dulaan, because it wouldn't really keep anyone warm. You need wool for Mongolia!

4:19 AM  
Blogger gwtreece said...

Cognrats on the great bargains. Happy Birthday to your son.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

What an incredibly charming story about your son.

I am envious of your Sally Ann finds.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

What a beautiful story, Peg! My little boy loves to sit by me when I knit, too.

Great yarn haul! I love, love, love finding yarn at the thrift store!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting