Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, October 06, 2006

Why Do I Have UFOs?

I am reading a book by Katherine Gibson called "Unclutter Your Life". There is a section on clutter from UFOs. The author questioned a fung shui expert, Beth Skala and Ms. Skala says that unfinished projects are pure potential. They hold promises of what might be. Sometimes the vision of what might be is so grand that we feel we do not have the ability to accomplish the task. Also we are afraid that we will not be happy with the end result, so we try to find happiness in the potential of the UFO. Does this make sense to you? In some areas it does to me. I worry that it will NOT turn out the way I hope, so I do not begin - no start, no disappointment! I love some stash, but there is a point at which it starts to overwhelm me and I lose hope and courage to attack some UFOs. This is not a big problem, but one I recognize and try to control. Do I always win? No, No and No! Sometimes the old theory of 'out of sight, out of mind' works!

Anyway, I am working away on my UFO - Tilia - and here are the sleeves so far. The pattern calls for 17" of sleeve before decreasing for the armhole. I measured sweaters that fit, and I need 19". Luckily, I bought an extra skein and I still have two skeins in reserve at this point. Hopefully with a long weekend ahead - it is our Thanksgiving weekend in Canada - I can whip Tilia into shape. What do you think?



I was in my LYS today getting another ball of yarn to knit a pair of socks and there was another ball of Rowan Wool Cotton. I have been collecting these balls for a few months - all at $2.00 a ball for a yarn that was originally $11.49 a ball. I now have seven balls at a saving of $66.03 - WOW! I am in no hurry to knit this yarn up - in fact, I do not have a project in mind, so I will keep collecting. The balls look a little worse for wear, and the photographer was a bit shaky, but don't those 7 balls for $14.00 instead of 7 balls for $80.43 look GRAND! Enough to make any photographer a bit shaky!! I think I might just call my LYS and ask if there are any more of these in the back room. Wouldn't you love to get in the back room of your LYS? Any suggestions as to what I might make from this not cheap but truly inexpensive yarn??



I also am working on another Shape It Scarf from Sally Melville's Knit1 book using Judy McLean's hand painted merino mohair curlylocks. Another UFO under control.



I am taking a poetry course at Elder College and today this poem was read. I just have to share it with you. The poem was written by Linda Pastan, who is an American gal born in 1932.

Marks

My husband gives me an A
for last night's supper,
an incomplete for my ironing
a B plus in bed.
My son says I am average,
an average mother, but if
I put my mind to it
I could improve.
My daughter believes
in Pass/Fail and tells me
I pass. Wait 'til they learn
I'm dropping out.

5 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

Hmm... I'm a drop out from my family of origin. It makes me smile to think of it! What made you choose to post that poem?

I've stopped buying yarn so I can make progress with my UFOs and so that I won't grow an overwelming stash. But I'm saving money from every paycheck for the Rhinebeck tin. It's the thought of a big wonderful payoff that is keeping me from instant gratification purposes.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

MMMMMMMMMM-Wool Cotton!!!! I have about 20 balls (maybe 19-can't recall) in a lovely rose-mauve shade. I go and fondle it-haven't a clue what I might make of it-a sweater for sure, maybe something with texture. This stuff really has good stitch definition. Hey-when you get enough for a sweater, why don't we do a knit a long? We'll choose the right patterns and set our needles, and off we go!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I love the Wool Cotton! Is it DK? Hmmm, the brain is working away - I'll likely wake up in the middle of the night, shake my husband, and list off the perfect pattern. Then I'll go back to sleep and forget about it :0)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

Wow. There is some serious discontent behind that poem, as only another mother of teens can identify!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oooh more Cotton Rope. That LYS is a dangerous place to be. I bought a bunch of yarn the last time I was there. I didn't see the blue cotton rope. I did pick up 2 skeins of DB Cashmerino Aran to make the cute cap that they had at the till.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting