Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Breast Cancer Awareness Month - October!



As most of you who read my blog know, I am a breast cancer survivor of almost 10 years. I hooked this mat two years ago to work through the feelings of having survived cancer while younger women were dying and leaving young families behind! There is a group of women in Vancouver who were diagnosed with breast cancer before their 40th birthday. They call themselves "The Young and The Breastless" - a play on title of the soap opera. Anyway this woman's body is their logo, but she has dark hair. I changed her hair to white - which is the colour of mine - and I know I am not this shape, but I am a woman without either breast. No reconstructive surgery for me. I am happy with my body and am more than two breasts. However, I am happy for those who want reconstruction.

Forgive me that their is no knitting on this post, I do it to remind all of you to do breast self examination and if you are over 40, have a mammogram at least every other year. There is no cure yet, but early detection is the one thing that is in a woman's favour. I want no woman to die because she did not at least try to give herself a fighting chance with this disease by being pro-active about her breast health.

Oh yes, there is one bit of knitting to be mentioned. I knit my own prosthesis from a pattern from knitty in the whimsies section. First go to Archives and then to Whimsies and they are called 'tit-bits'.

3 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

My mother-in-law, who I love dearly, is a breast cancer survivor too. For Mother's day one year I knit her the Pink Ribbons Socks from Lisa Loyd designs.

http://www.lloydknitting.com/pink_ribbons_sock.htm

3:38 AM  
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

Peg - just by perusing your blog rather quickly, I can tell you are a woman with great personal style. I love this rug. A project like this helps us "let go."

I have no experience with breast cancer, but am a melanoma survivor.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

You talking about it really hits it home that you need to check yourself over.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting