Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, August 28, 2006

If I Can Knit 'Breasts', Why Not Tiaras?

I got started back into knitting with a vengance when I read an article about knitting breasts. As some may know, I had a double mastectomy for breast cancer and so I need two 'tit-bits'. The pattern is here You can get two for the price of one ball of delicious yarn! Anyway, if I can knit breasts then a tiara should be easy!

Here is my tiara. The crowning will be later when the mailman delivers this priceless jewel to my friend and hat girl Cate!






I did make a few changes to the pattern which is here

I threaded the beads onto the yarn and then knit. I wanted the little 'flowers' to be secure. Kate is two and I worried she could pull of sewn-on 'bling'. I also wanted the tiara to be a bit large, so I knit the largest girl size and then made a crocheted chain, wove it through the back and it can be tightened up a bit and Cate can be a princess for another year or so. The beads have made the little tips a bit droopy with their weight. Guess two year olds don't really care!

I also hear from the gal who designed Tater's Cotton Cardi. She was helpful, but I still had more questions and she asked me to write if I wanted further help - so I did! She responded very quickly, so I was pleased. I used my own judgment and I am currently working on the pattern of the front/back/front and with the variegated yarn it is really cute.

Do we knitters have an obligation to let pattern designers/writers know when there is a problem with the pattern. I think we do. Better to tell them than tell 20 other knitters who will not buy or download their patterns and they are none the wiser as to why their pattern is not 'selling'. I did it nicely, my Mom taught me well, and she, I think, appreciated the fact that I chose her pattern to knit and cared enough to make sure it was done correctly.

I am going to post this now, even if it needs tweaking, cause blogging this am is fraught with troubles!!

4 Comments:

Blogger CelticCastOn said...

how cute is that???
That has got to be the sweetest thing, I want one :)

Re: 5th and 6th I've gotta wait till the new schedule comes out but I'm hoping things will work out so I can meet you, even if its only a flying visit. Maybe I could take you and your friend out to Tim's :)

4:47 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

That tiara is a wonderful pressie for a little girl. She'll be showing it off to all her friends and they'll want one too!

I think we should let pattern designers know (if we can get hold of them). It's like not complaining in a restaurant otherwise - if you don't say, then the top boss won't know.

Are you packed for your trip yet?

Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

8:50 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Beautiful tiara, fit for a princess! I'm sure Cate will love it.

Good to hear the pattern problems worked out quickly and easily - I'd love to hear what you came up with when you have a chance! My email is stuart434ATshawDOTca , if you want to contact me privately, Peg. :0)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

I'm glad you got the cardi sorted. I think it's a good idea to let designers know if you have problems. I'd rather something was pointed out in mine as it would help others in future.

The tiara is so pretty, she's going to look wonderful in it.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting