Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, August 31, 2006

What Yarn Will I Buy?

I am off in a few days for a 2.5 week holiday in my home province of Nova Scotia. It will mean a week at a cottage with a long-term friend, visits with family and my nursing school reunion. I am getting excited. Many of the girls from my nursing class I have not seen for 45 years. We will have changed. As for me, I am now snow white, about 30 pounds slimmer and a whole lot wiser. I am one of the lucky ones. I married a wonderful man, had two terrific kids and now two grandkids and a step grandson. I am a ten year breast cancer survivor, healthy and still have my sense of humour intact. It just does not get better than that, in my estimation.

Now I have out a few pattern books that have some projects I would like to knit. I only have three upcoming sweaters in the stash! Nevermind, I have plans to get to London Wul Farm, Fleece Artist, Lismore Sheep Farm Wool Shop, and L K Yarns . I am hoping to get in to see the dye house at Fleece Artist. I will be buying some of their product at other shops, as they run the dyeing end of things at the factory, but to not have a retail outlet there. I have never seen wools dyed before, so this will be a wonderful experience. I plan to wear my Clapotis from Fleece Artist Silk Stream that I showed you earlier when I visit Fleece Artist.

When I travel, I always try to bring back a souvenir of my current craft. My main aim this trip is to get some Sea Silk that Fleece Artist carries. I have my trusty book - the kind that if you lost it you would cry - with me and in it I write down the requirements for hoped for projects. I write the name of the book it is in, the yarn recommended, the yardage of the recommended yarn, the needle size, the gauge and always buy an extra ball or skein. I knit up the yarn I buy with lots of memories swirling through my mind of the wonderful time I had in the shop where I bought it and the people who were with me, etc.

I am not sure if I will get time to post again, but I will be back after 20th of September. Just now I have the guest room bed in a tizzy. It is that time of year where you are not sure just exactly what the weather will be, so you pack for all types of weather. I put something on the bed, rethink it, hang it back up, etc. I do not bother with worrying about what to wear in rain storms or hurricanes, both of which NS could dish out, as if that happens, I have my knitting and a good book or two!! I try to pack less than 30 lbs, as I move about a bit on my holiday and want to be very mobile!

I called and I can take my needles on the plane. I am knitting the shawl/shrug from my LYS in the beautiful red DROPS on a bamboo circular. I must say my holder of long needles is definitely feeling neglected. I love to knit on circulars and if I am knitting on an aircraft, I do not have to worry about where that other needle has taken up residence. It is not pretty seeing a crying knitter on all fours as she tells the sleeping passenger behind or in front to please move and lift up their carry-on luggage from the floor!!

I checked my links to a few of the shops I mentioned, but they do not seem to work, so here are the web sites. Fleece Artist is at www.fleeceartist.com, Lismore Farms is at www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop.com and LK Yarns is at www.lkyarns.com. I know how to link these things, but today it is not seeming to cooperate and I do not want to lose the post - I have lost it before!!

Take care and I will return!

10 Comments:

Blogger CelticCastOn said...

have a safe trip ;)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh Peg- Have fun! I am insanely jealous of your visit to Fleece Artist-so I will just have to enjoy it vicariously when you get back!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Have a great vacation Peg! I too am jealous that you'll be going to Fleece Artist. You'll have to tell us all about it.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Have a great time and don't lose your book . We will all want pictures of Fleece Artist of course.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Have a lovely trip.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Have a great trip, Peg, but leave some energy for when you get back -we're meeting up in a yarn store on the Island, remember? Will email or ring when getting close.

Gosh, I wish I could be there at Fleece Artist with you. No time to change the travel plans now though...DH might just suspect something.

Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

7:49 AM  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

I do not remember leaving a message on Phillip Lloyd's blog~ maybe I didn't

8:48 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Have a wonderful trip! What fun you'll have - and I am SO envious of your visit to Fleece Artist :0) I've been longing for some Sea Silk, too! Looking forward to hearing of your adventures and seeing your treasures when you return.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Have a wonderful trip and you are right, doesn't matter what you wear, it is all about the knitting. Of course you will have a blast seeing old Nursing friends. Have fun and safe journey!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Have a wonderful trip and you are right, doesn't matter what you wear, it is all about the knitting. Of course you will have a blast seeing old Nursing friends. Have fun and safe journey!

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting