Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Blue Skies, Nothin' But Blue Skies!


Here is my Saturday sky and I think that is a fly pass (or is it past) of two crows. I wish they were eagles, because we have lots of them here in BC. Soon, when you drive past any of the salmon rivers, the eagles will be thick in the trees awaiting their annual gorging of spent salmon! The smell is not great, but the site is wonderful. What a wonderful summer we have had! So many days to garden, eat outside and knit!!

Here is a picture of the shrug I knit for my DD for Christmas. I used the 4 balls of Garnstudio Angora Tweed, which you might remember from a previous post only cost me $4.00 a ball and it is a beautiful soft grey. If nothing else, it will keep her warm as she sits and reads, knits or watches TV. She is in Germany for four years, so watching TV will be minimal and she is not the knitter her Mom is, but oh how she loves to read!



I am also knitting clogs for felting. I think I need to meet a Sasquatch, but Jen at my LYS assures me that these will fit my son once they have become one with hot water and my washing machine. They are a quick knit, but one you need to do when you are alone, as each row is different and the first rows in the sole (you need to knit 2 soles) almost drove me batty! I was determined that if others could knit these clogs that it was doable for me! It is doable, but I am anxious to make the second clog and then spend time in the laundry room!


I wanted to watch some TV last evening with my DH, so clog knitting was set aside and I picked up a pattern I have been wanting to knit for a little girl's sweater. It is a free pattern from The Garter Belt and is knit top down! There is a problem, I think, in the sleeve, and I plan to make it smaller. I notice on the little model that the sleeves seem too large, it is such a cute pattern and I wish the instructions were more clear. I plan to write them, not to complain, but to ask that if they want less experienced knitters to try their patterns, that more information is better than less! If I follow the instructions, as I read them, I will have 62 stitches for each sleeve. Does this seem to be too many for a size 2 sweater knit on 3.5 mm needles with Gong Cotone Egitto Mako (it is Italian Cotton)??? If any of my readers can help, I would appreciate it. I just might put a query on Knitter's Forum Review. I will also write to The Garter Belt and see if they can help. When I am ready to take off the stitches for the two sleeves, I will have 292 stitches on the needles!! Sometimes free patterns cost a bit of grey matter!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

You have hit on the drawback with free patterns. Thanks to Anne I was able to sort out my Elann lace crop cardi but on other occasions I have just had to go by instinct as the guidelines were patently wrong. I remember an occasion when I had to reconstruct a whole crochet lace jacket from ancient and patchy instructions. Now that was stressful! Go with what you feel is right and it will work.
Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

1:35 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Your son's clogs are going to look fantastic. The shrug looks lovely too.

I thought the sleeves looked ok on the pattern. 62 sts is only 10" round and that's about right for little arms.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I wanna knit clogs for myself (Sso I don't have to bother with sleepers!). Love that shrug - it looks so cozy and warm

3:04 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

That shrug will provide many cozy wearings for your DD.
I think you should discard the pattern as written and go with what you think is correct. However, I also agree that you should let them know the pattern is wonky!:)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Bev said...

That sounds like too many stitches to me too....I'd say "go with your gut"! (after all the worst that will happen is you will have to "frog stitch" some of it, but you'll have learned a whole lot too!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I love seeing your clog progress - I've ordered the pattern and some wool for my family, and it's nice to see that the pattern is "doable". It looks a bit intidmidating. I really like that sweater pattern, as well as the other one, with the daisies. Marie Grace has her own blog, you could try asking her directly? I'd like to hear what you find out - I was planning on making Gwen one of these sweaters for spring :0)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Don't forget to put your pre-felted clogs in an old pillow case or a lingerie bag or something- to stop the fuzz bits from invading your washer and causing said washer to have conniption fits. Hmm. Ask me how I know!!!!!

10:36 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

humm that seems like an awful lot of stitches to me for a child's sleeve. Clogs are going to be great, I think i'm gonna try those this winter.
As for being in NB would you be interested in meeting up if I can get down that way between work. Or maybe we could meet at London-Wul.... let me know I'd love to meet you!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Sidsel said...

Hi,thanks for your visit in my blogg,Your shrug in Angora-Tweed look so cosy.Can you please tell me where I can find/buy the pattern?
I live nearby Stavanger,south in Norway.In a small town called Gjedal..Have also a "chat-friend"
Virtuella (http://virtuella.blogdrive. com/).She is recently finised with her chemotherapy..Perhapes you already *know* her..
All the best from Sidsel,Norway
http://blogg.hobbyboden.com/sidsel/

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting