Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, September 01, 2006

Just Had To Show You My Gift!

Today I met with Lisa from www.mydailydistractions.blogspot.com. She is a young blogger here in the Valley where I live and it was so nice to meet a fellow knitter. We exchanged some books to peruse and the dear girl gave me this beautiful skein of lace weight yarn that she dyed herself. Isn't it beautiful. I wonder what it would look like in the Icarus Shawl from Interweave Knits Summer 2006. It is fairly plain for the main part of the shawl and that would allow the beautiful colourway to shine!



You know, I am old enough to be Lisa's Mom, but I felt that we could share some fun times together, because of our love of knitting. She is a delightful young woman and she is a beautiful knitter. She brought a toe up sock to show me, and that is definitely something that I plan to make this fall. Now I have someone near by to help, if needed. She is also going to teach me to do cables without a needle. That is what makes blogging so worthwhile for me. When you want to do something different in knitting or find yourself in a tricky knitting situation - help is at hand, and Lisa is very close at hand.

I was feeling overwhelmed by her gift of yarn and racking my brain for something that I could give to Lisa, although I certainly did not feel that Lisa expected anything. Well, I may have mentioned that I do NOT like Addi Turbos - Lisa loves them and I had a pair of 5mm Addis - now Lisa has them and I am so pleased. They have gone to a good home.

We did go over to our LYS and I introduced Lisa to the owner, her Mom and one of the gals who works there - it is nice when you go in and they call you by name. Lisa got some great books and I got one more ball of the beautiful red DROPS for my shrug - it is travelling with me and may even make its debut at the big dinner for my nursing class!! I also took her to a shop here that sells great beads. Lisa has only lived her a short while, so it takes some time to find these little shops that carry items you might want in your knitting.

Now I am out of here for sure and must start putting things into a suitcase! See you when I return with some fibery goodness and pictures!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I'm so jealous, sure wish I could have been there with you.
Have a great trip Peg!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Have fun!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

What beautiful yarn.

I bet you've got a lot of yarn tucked in that suitcase!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

The only yarn in the suitcase is some sock yarn and needles. I am taking my DROPS yarn on board the plane. I am knitting a shrug! I plan to return with lots of yarn - mostly looking for Sea Silk and anything Fleece Artist produces.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I'm so pleased for you both! How nice to meet up with a blogger/knitter. And what lovely yarn! Lisa did a great job :0)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Hey, I'll show you how to do cables without a spare needle - 'tis easy as dropping stitches... no, perhaps not that. Anyway it's really easy. Looking up your friend's blog right now. Good trip, see you soon.

Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

2:54 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hi! Found my way here from your comment on the London-Wul blog. I was just in the store this past week and it's beautiful. The only bad thing about it was I spent too much money! I could have spent more, but had to limit myself. They have great yarns, etc. there!

The yarn your new friend gave you is simply beautiful! I think it would make a lovely shawl. I'll drop by her blog as well.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Beautiful yarn! YOU LUCKY GIRL YOU!Now I am curious- I love the addis- I even have some addi natura (sp?) with the wooden tips-which needles do you prefer? And have fun on your trip! My mom went to her 50th nursing reunion-she looked like the youngest one there, as you will at your reunion!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Beautiful yarn! YOU LUCKY GIRL YOU!Now I am curious- I love the addis- I even have some addi natura (sp?) with the wooden tips-which needles do you prefer? And have fun on your trip! My mom went to her 50th nursing reunion-she looked like the youngest one there, as you will at your reunion!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

oops! I double click everything-sorry!

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting