Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Gifts from Ireland!

When I came home today after my Elder College classes, with nothing on my mind except a good hot cup of tea, there was a package for me from dear, Jo.Here is what the lovely parcel contained.



Sorry, but the photo does not do the yarn justice. It is a wonderful viscose - not an itch in a country mile - and the most beautiful 'jewel' tones of red; copper; blue; and the shades in between as they blend into each other.

Now, Jo, wanted me to join in the Red Sweater KAL and so she sent me the yarn - now all I want is for Jo to come here, bring her beautiful red yarn and her Alice Starmore pattern and we should be able to whip up our sweaters over many cups of tea, glasses of wine, laughter, tears and whatever two bloggers could get up to. The odd visit to LYSs would perhaps be needed, or else we could have carpal tunnel syndrome from so much continuous knitting. With the cost of airfare, the hazards of travel, the jet lag and time, perhaps we need to knit and email - we will encourage each other from afar, but Jo's sweater has 1,000+ stitches,is long sleeved and mine is short sleeved, a very simple pattern - viscose is delicious to knit with, but stitch definition is not great. I don't care, I love, love, love my yarn and I just might need a wee bit more! A small skein might accompany some bainin she is sending to me to make a vest - she gave me some as a gift when she visited and now I want a souvenir vest! I will send any number of things to Ireland to make sure we stay good friends, but my love for this dear woman is a pure joy. I am trying to see if we can meet in Toronto for a fibre festival in Spring and we are off to Germany to visit out DD and family next year, so perhaps a short visit to Cork would be possible. I want to go to the SHED - you know the one with all the wonderful treasurers!!

I have been knitting since Tilia, and finally I got something that fit - it did go to the frog pond a few times, but here is a little vest from some Berroco Ultra Alpaca I had in my stash. I love the little vest, in fact, I wore it today! I am now knitting one in a beautiful red from Sandnes Smart! This vest will be the same, but an inch or more longer in the body and perhaps a bit of a pattern down the centre front.


Even my colour is not great in this photo! Never mind, I was just so pleased to make something that I could wear, as after the episode with Tilia I had lost some of my knitting esteem! All it took was one vest to make me a happy knitter.

I also started to do a little felting from the book, One Skein, which I had shown before. I have some left over bits of Galway and a thrift store purchase of Lopi, so I made a small bowl. Below are the before and after photos of the bowl. I put my tea mug beside the bowl so you could see the size of the 'furry' bowl. I think it will get a bit of a trim when it is dry! I think these little bowls would make great gifts, but next time, I will make sure to cast on much looser!

7 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

The vest is just lovely on you and your little bowl is very sweet.

Lucky you to have some of that red yarn. Even if the picture doesn't do it justice, my imagination sees it as very exciting.

8:02 PM  
Blogger gail said...

Very, very nice vest! And another one planned! What fun.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Keeping busy! I like the vest - looks like it fits you really well.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Very nice vest. I was wondering if it was hard to knit black? I have a black sweater I would like to knit but I have been told its hard on the eyes! This knit looks like it fits perfectly!

6:22 AM  
Blogger gail said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I actually finished my brother's sweater this week!!! I need to get the time to post the photo on my blog. He is doing better--but his vision is still double and blurred, which affects his stability and his physical therapy. I think if his vision were to improve, he'd make greater strides in walking, etc. He is really itching to get out of that hospital.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Peg, I love the vest on you, and the little bowl is darling! Well done! If only there was some way we bloggers could "virtually" meet up for a sit and knit...

1:34 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

The yarn is so pretty. The vest looks great on you, the fit is just right.

The little bowl is very sweet.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting